Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Earthing a PV system question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deltatango

-
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I am fitting up a small PV system on a porch roof using a small (Plug in Solar) 4 panel rig just would like to know if its lightning earth grounding wire can be threaded under tiles to emerge as required at its brackets (to be neater), or would it need to be topside.

Figure there are rules for most things but its finding a line in pages of them........

Many Thanks from Deltatango

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Aico 3000
K

Karl Strange

-
I am fitting up a small PV system on a porch roof using a small (Plug in Solar) 4 panel rig just would like to know if its lightning earth grounding wire can be threaded under tiles to emerge as required at its brackets (to be neater), or would it need to be topside.

Figure there are rules for most things but its finding a line in pages of them........

it is good practice to keep lightning conductors as short as possible, running the cables under the tiles may also require Mechanical protection. in my opinion keeping them on the outside would be the preferred method.

James

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron

there are specific regs outside of BS7671 that are all about lightning protection.

however, one point to note is that lightning will be attracted to any well grounded metal object above ground level.
i.e. if you have 2 brick houses on a hill at the same height and one has a lightning rod, it will be hit far more often than the one without stood next to it.

Also, if lightning strikes, it will not only travel down the cable but will also travel down the outside of the cable as the voltage is far higher than the insulation resistance.
by bringing that cable inside of the roof you are giving lightning a path inside the property. a situation that I think you would want to avoid.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Reply to Earthing a PV system question in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom