Discuss economy 7 radio teleswitch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shakey

Hi chaps, now dont panic, but I am going to ask a question instead of answering one:eek:

went to look at a job this morning

they had ecenomy 7 storage heaters which they have ripped out, i have a few jobs to do, which includes a CU change

current set up is (its on a TT system)

from meter to a 100mA RCD

from there to henley blocks

two sets of tails from henley blocks, one set into fuseboard, and one set into a 'radio teleswitch' which then feeds an isolator and fuse for the storage heaters

Now obviously i will bin the 100ma, 'cause i am putting a twin 30mA board in, but my concern is the radio teleswitch

Now i know basically it 'tells' the main meter to drop to the cheaper tariff, but does it belong to western power distribution?

Can i just rip it out?

My thoughts are that because its after the customers 100mA RCD then it is the customers property. Anyone had any experience of these?:confused:

Hi Shakey,

Is the RCD actually the property of the customer. I came across an installation some years ago where the "Board" had installed an RCD in place of an isolator on a dual tariff installation. I must admit that it would appear the actual installation was done in the days when the tails had to be installed by the "Board". I contacted the supplier, who then put me in touch with the metering company who did not seem to know what I was talking about. Eventually I asked them to come and install an inline isolator, which at that time they did free of charge, they just ripped the whole lot out, RCD and all. Could have had the job done two days quicker if I had done the same, but that's life.:confused:
From what I was told by the guy who came out, who was as long in the tooth as I am, everything upto the incoming side of the fuseboards technically belonged to the "Board" as they were then responsible for the installation to that point. The radio link is more than likely the property of the supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi chaps, now dont panic, but I am going to ask a question instead of answering one:eek:

went to look at a job this morning

they had ecenomy 7 storage heaters which they have ripped out, i have a few jobs to do, which includes a CU change

current set up is (its on a TT system)

from meter to a 100mA RCD

from there to henley blocks

two sets of tails from henley blocks, one set into fuseboard, and one set into a 'radio teleswitch' which then feeds an isolator and fuse for the storage heaters

Now obviously i will bin the 100ma, 'cause i am putting a twin 30mA board in, but my concern is the radio teleswitch

Now i know basically it 'tells' the main meter to drop to the cheaper tariff, but does it belong to western power distribution?

Can i just rip it out?

My thoughts are that because its after the customers 100mA RCD then it is the customers property. Anyone had any experience of these?:confused:

Shake,

A few years ago I undertook more or less the same job you are doing , except it was in a commercial building,a woodworking shop actually. There was a teleswitch witch I ripped out and put to one side. After a week or two it got chucked out, and when we got the board in some months later to see about moving the cut-out, they made a real song and dance about the teleswitch being removed.
The said it was their property and we should'nt have even touched it, and they wanted to know where it was. We went down the 'dunno mate, never seen it' route and nothing ever came of it.

Perhaps you best give them a ring, or just disconect it and leave it where it is.

Shake,

A few years ago I undertook more or less the same job you are doing , except it was in a commercial building,a woodworking shop actually. There was a teleswitch witch I ripped out and put to one side. After a week or two it got chucked out, and when we got the board in some months later to see about moving the cut-out, they made a real song and dance about the teleswitch being removed.
The said it was their property and we should'nt have even touched it, and they wanted to know where it was. We went down the 'dunno mate, never seen it' route and nothing ever came of it.

Perhaps you best give them a ring, or just disconect it and leave it where it is.

yeah, think i will just get them in, rip it out and install a double pole isolator, i can then just stick the new tails into that

cheers chaps

Reply to economy 7 radio teleswitch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net