Discuss EICR codes when RECENT works don't comply!? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S P

-
Reaction score
Just carried out an EICR on a standard semi which has had some work done in 2015-16. The works included connecting an outbuilding to the rear of the house to create a hall, WC and utility room. The Kitchen was also replaced, new cooker and shower circuits installed.

The 1 sockets circuit does have RCBO protection but is the only one!

Putting the other issues I found to one side, I wanted to know what others thought about this -

As I know the installation date was at a time the regs called for RCD protection everywhere, am I right to think this warrants a C2 for i.e. no rcd for cables >50mm on GF lighting circuit, just for a start..

If installed to 16th I would C3.

Naturally, client has no certs...
But - "he was very good and qualified.."

You inspect to the current standard on the day you inspect. Your inspection is a report on potential danger. Why is something classed as more dangerous for the same issue because of a different installation date ?
I would note on the cert that recent work carried out did not comply to the regulations and let the customer take that up with the installer.

As I know the installation date was at a time the regs called for RCD protection everywhere, am I right to think this warrants a C2 for i.e. no rcd for cables >50mm on GF lighting circuit, just for a start..

If installed to 16th I would C3
that would be a C2 for not having RCD protection up to the current 17th ,soon be the big blue book soon .

Something to consider, is the date of design.
An installation designed to the 16th edition can then be constructed some years after the 17th edition came into force.
For example the Olympic Athletes’ village in Stratford.
Designed to the 16th edition, construction completed in March 2015, some 7 years after the 17th was issued.

Another thing to consider: There is no requirement to provide RCD protection for cables concealed in walls.
It is just an option.

Another thing to consider: There is no requirement to provide RCD protection for cables concealed in walls.
It is just an option.

Hum .... The issue I have with this, is simple, only the designer & installer will actually know how a cable is protected in a wall as any other form of protection may be completely hidden.

I asked another installer about why they had omitted rcd protection on 3 circuits recently. ...... They simply said that the circuits complied.... And didn't elaborate .... But anyone doing an EICR on a post 2015 property is going to code such a circuit as a c3 .....

Hum .... The issue I have with this, is simple, only the designer & installer will actually know how a cable is protected in a wall as any other form of protection may be completely hidden.

I asked another installer about why they had omitted rcd protection on 3 circuits recently. ...... They simply said that the circuits complied.... And didn't elaborate .... But anyone doing an EICR on a post 2015 property is going to code such a circuit as a c3 .....
That's why details of the design are supposed to be available for review when inspecting. (And of course I know how rare that is!)

Andy I always hear we can't condemn an installation that conforms to the standards at the time of installation but we are talking about an install that didn't confirm to the increased safety at the time. I get what you're saying "Why is something classed as more dangerous for the same issue because of a different installation date ?" But then why were the news regs bought into place?

It was clear from the switches I opened the cable was embedded in plaster >50mm

Something to consider, is the date of design.
An installation designed to the 16th edition can then be constructed some years after the 17th edition came into force.
For example the Olympic Athletes’ village in Stratford.
Designed to the 16th edition, construction completed in March 2015, some 7 years after the 17th was issued.

It is just an option.

Thanks Spin, but your giving this guy too much credit...

I have this year converted my downstairs corridor lights to two way, cables concealed in oval conduit, no additional rcd protection and obsolete red, yellow and blue cable to boot:D

Andy I always hear we can't condemn an installation that conforms to the standards at the time of installation
Although that is an oft repeated phrase it is, nonetheless, incorrect.

Again I will use the examples of fused neutrals: these were permitted once, but that certainly wouldn't stop be from condemning them if I came across them now.

Reply to EICR codes when RECENT works don't comply!? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock