Discuss EICR for a rented property with cpc on the lights. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marcuscrackus

I have a EICR coming up where I am sure there is no CPC in the lighting circuit, the property is rented and I am sure all the outlets are class 2. Where do i stand?

Should the circuits be rewired?

C2 or C3?

Thanks

If there are enclosures or accessories which require an earth then it is C2 as fault protection is not provided. The only way to resolve it is to rewire or eliminate items which need an earth. If an earth is not required and you will have to be certain then maybe C3 but that is up to you. What do you mean where do you stand.

What i meat was regarding the satisfactory or unsatisfactory and what remedials would need to be done. If all the outlets are class 2 so there is no way that any indirect ordirectt contact could be made and the a C3 is noted on the cert could it get away with being satisfactory? i know in an ideal world the circuits should be rewired but legally should they be?

That would be your call but you haven't tested it yet and lack of cpcs may be the least of problems because surely there may be other issues. Don't be blinded by one issue.

ok basically if there is no cpc in the loghting circuit. but all outlets are class 2 can it be left or does it have to be replaced? the property is rented.

You need to go and determine what is actually installed before making any coding suggestions.

Best practice guide 4 is a useful read.

^^

Hum... A rewire may seem sensible but this may not be necessary to get a satisfactory report.....

You can't go round coding to get work.

Just saying

I saw the same issue recently, but someone had tapped into a socket to run a cpc to the only light fitting that actually needed one. The run didn't look particularly easy either. If I was going to go to that sort of length I'd probably prefer just to rewire the circuit and do a proper job. On an EICR, it's a judgement issue, think it was the NIC who endorsed putting a sticker on the CU and ensuring class 2 fittings only, it is a solution, not one I'd necessarily subscribe to myself.

Ah yes there is the solution fit another unendorsed sticker notifying the uninitiated, assuming they can speak/read English, job done.
Wonder how long it will take the IET to publish 7671 in various languages?

I was doing a bathroom refurb recently, where the lighting circuit had no cpc. The previous 'electrician', overcome the problem by providing an earth by bonding to a copper pipe in the loft space. However, this 'fix' was spoilt, when the copper pipe was replaced by plastic pipe during the refurb :)

Ah yes there is the solution fit another unendorsed sticker notifying the uninitiated, assuming they can speak/read English, job done.

I hope you're not attempting to be facetious Mr. Westy o_O

Yes it is amazing they can imagine a potentially serious safety deficit can be resolved by a sticker with some little English words written on it.

how many tenants read the sticker on consumers, not many neither.me speak no ingilsh
do landlords tell the tenants. a yellow sticker wont stop them putting up a class 1
light fitting up with no cpc.

Reply to EICR for a rented property with cpc on the lights. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net