Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It is hardly "going over the top" bringing to the attention of a home owner a potential risk it is more by way of advice it is not as if it is a judgement from the Lord high executioner it is simply sage advice. The fact the risk as perceived by you @Des 56 is miniscule does not detract from the fact that certain professional bodies have deemed it a risk who are in a better position to assess that risk certainly more so than mere personal opinion and subjective conjecture. I see no reason to fly in the face of that and refuse to acknowledge and inform others who can then make their own decision as to how to handle it.
Have you been at the Dictionary again this morning Tel, all these big words and precise statements?

pete, you have quoted Vorty's post and replied tome. you really must stop using wine bottle bottoms and chicken wire for glasses. :D:D:D.
Sorry about that Tel " will do better next time"

so, a plastic CU that's properly installed gets a C3 code. Customer then decides to have it replaced with a metal CU.This is done by a wet-behind-the -ears Electrical Trainee, with loose terminations, ropey cable dressing, and an indecipherable EIC. and you call that an improvement???

You forgot.... Then come January all the circuits going into the CU get a C3 for not having any AFDD's

This is done by a wet-behind-the -ears Electrical Trainee, with loose terminations, ropey cable dressing, and an indecipherable EIC. and you call that an improvement???
Installations by incompetent persons is a different matter to coding a plastic CU. I usually advise customers to fireproof the stairs themselves rather than change the CU. I often see understairs packed to the gunnels with property. And the wooden understairs is exposed looking like it would go up like a tinder box. Remember that a C3 is not compulsory it is advisory, surely there is no harm in advising where there is a risk?

My post is my personal opinion. I do not do EICR's so it doesn't affect anyone really. Just shocked to think that anyone would even consider giving a CU a C2 just because it's plastic.

But, present company accepted, that's just the point. For someone who does EICR's, it should not be opinionated.

A plastic CU, in a domestic property, under the stairs should either be a C2 or a C3, or whatever stupid code, or not at all. It quite a specific set of circumstances, and doesn't vary from one property to another. Seems that various property owners, across the country would get different assessments for the exact same scenario.

I don't do EICR's either, kinda glad I don't.

You forgot.... Then come January all the circuits going into the CU get a C3 for not having any AFDD's
I would doubt that. I believe they are only coming in as advisory in January. Not got my blue book yet though so correct me if wrong.

Just to ease your mind, the BPG only recommends a C3 for combustible boards situated in sole escape routes, and a no code if not. I personally think that is quite sensible guidance.

What does the 18th say about AFDD's?

There was a thread about them. I will see if I can find it.
It 'Recommended' using AFDD's...

Just to ease your mind, the BPG only recommends a C3 for combustible boards situated in sole escape routes, and a no code if not. I personally think that is quite sensible guidance.

Best Practise Guide, how flippin sensible. Then there would be some consistency in coding. Why isn't this guidance mandatory?

Edit; then this thread would be short & concise. :)

This is pinched from this post, post #25, by @Wes1000

For anyone who’s not seen the regulation covering these AFDD’s it’s as follows;

421.1.7 arc fault detection devices conforming to BS EN 62606 are recommended as a means of providing additional protection against fire caused by arc faults in AC final circuits.
If used, an AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.
NOTE: Examples of where such devices can be used include:
•premises with sleeping accommodation
•locations with a risk of fire due to the nature of processed or stored materials, ie B2 locations (e.g barns, woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials)
• locations with combustible construction materials i.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings)
• fire propagating structures i.e. CB2 locations
• locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

What makes me laugh is there are 100s of 1000s of Plastic DBs all over the country which they recommended to us in the last regs to fit, dual RCDs or boards with seperate RCBOs which was an improvement from the original DBs they used to recommend us to fit, However all of a sudden it is a C2 or C3 PMSL, How can they say this? it is about money and nothing else, the manufacturers fund the IET and are also directors on the board, they want to make some cash lol, it is like redesigning a car every 10 years and getting more sales, the whole thing stinks of Bullsh$te

Wish there was so much open discussion and debate on whether me ball joint on me van was a pass or a fail, on its mot last time out.

If none of you can agree on this one point, how do you agree on the rest of the book?

Incidentally, once you've obtained an EICR course or training, at what point can you start giving your competent judgmental opinions; straight away, few months experience or when you're old & crusty like Westwood, no offence Westy. :)
Wait, we’re supposed to get qualified before we can give judgmental opinions!

All this hoohah over boards, the old insulated ones weren't supposed to be capable of sustaining a flame either.
The dno hurried to replace our old metal cutout because of the danger, i wonder how long before there's a code required on conductive switch gear cases?
Beck to the original topic I suppose to get to a real decision we should compare with other things that attract a code.
C1 is immediate danger, definitely not that.
C2 is could be dangerous under a fault condition where it shouldn't cause a danger. Results in unsatisfactory/fail.
C3 is mostly things that not a danger just doesn't comply with the regs and wouldn't result in an unsatisfactory.

It is hardly "going over the top" bringing to the attention of a home owner a potential risk it is more by way of advice it is not as if it is a judgement from the Lord high executioner it is simply sage advice. The fact the risk as perceived by you @Des 56 is miniscule does not detract from the fact that certain professional bodies have deemed it a risk who are in a better position to assess that risk certainly more so than mere personal opinion and subjective conjecture. I see no reason to fly in the face of that and refuse to acknowledge and inform others who can then make their own decision as to how to handle it.

Maybe read your own posts before making the comment above on my own judgement on this subject

Above
I see no reason to fly in the face of that and refuse to acknowledge and inform others who can then make their own decision as to how to handle it

Your words in a previous post
I don't know about you but I would not be happy with that potential risk in my home especially with kids about

Giving advice to others and having a little paranoia about risk in your own home are 2 different animals

and all this fire protected equipment fitted next to my plastic meter... what could go wrong...

What makes me laugh is there are 100s of 1000s of Plastic DBs all over the country which they recommended to us in the last regs to fit, dual RCDs or boards with seperate RCBOs which was an improvement from the original DBs they used to recommend us to fit, However all of a sudden it is a C2 or C3 PMSL, How can they say this? it is about money and nothing else, the manufacturers fund the IET and are also directors on the board, they want to make some cash lol, it is like redesigning a car every 10 years and getting more sales, the whole thing stinks of Bullsh$te

It's never a C2 in any circumstance and it is not, in the eyes of a reasonable inspector with knowledge of the regs, a sole reason to upgrade a consumer unit.

I bet a few jack the lads will be conning some old ladies into a new unit because their old one is plastic, I hope they get Jailed if they get caught, the horror stories will soon occur, there will be posts on here about this sort of practice within 18 months I bet.

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock