Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I bet a few jack the lads will be conning some old ladies into a new unit because their old one is plastic, I hope they get Jailed if they get caught, the horror stories will soon occur, there will be posts on here about this sort of practice within 18 months I bet.

There are scum in every trade... It will never stop.

There are scum in every trade... It will never stop.
LOL, yes and I will start naming and shaming those on here later :D

I bet a few jack the lads will be conning some old ladies into a new unit because their old one is plastic, I hope they get Jailed if they get caught, the horror stories will soon occur, there will be posts on here about this sort of practice within 18 months I bet.

They will and already are, and no they won't go to jail if caught. If they get caught. I'm not aware of any body or agency that would be interested in catching anyone for that reason.

They will and already are, and no they won't go to jail if caught. If they get caught. I'm not aware of any body or agency that would be interested in catching anyone for that reason.
Let us know here if you know any Andy, we can send the boys around to sentence them, kangaroo courts can be useful.

Let us know here if you know any Andy, we can send the boys around to sentence them, kangaroo courts can be useful.

Honestly, it's part and parcel of my everyday job to the point where it washes over me. At least once a week I'll hear incorrect advice that customer has been given by another electrician, letting agent, decorator, etc. If I chased up every instance to see whether it was fraudulent or ignorance I'd not have time to install a socket in the week.

One of the problems I have with this Consumer Unit issue, is that it is not the Wiring Regulations that should have changed, but the BS EN standards that relate to Consumer Units.
Of course, what has happened, is that both have changed.

And competency addressed.

What does the 18th say about AFDD's?

Almost certainly will not be required in domestic installations. The word used is ‘recommended’ I think. Delibratly left washy so they can justify an ammendment.

AFDDs will be ‘recommended’ in places of high fire risk and timber buildings and those with significant importance. Homes with multiple occupances and hotels also.

Best Practise Guide, how flippin sensible. Then there would be some consistency in coding. Why isn't this guidance mandatory?

Edit; then this thread would be short & concise. :)

Best Practice Guides are by description ‘guides’.

It is up to the person doing the work to decide where on the best practice line they wish to be.

For example it is ‘best practice’ to not work live. What people actually do changes with each situation.

Almost certainly will not be required in domestic installations. The word used is ‘recommended’ I think. Delibratly left washy so they can justify an ammendment.

AFDDs will be ‘recommended’ in places of high fire risk and timber buildings and those with significant importance. Homes with multiple occupances and hotels also.

Read post #54 for what it says in the regs, if you want to know the wording.

What is your take on "premises with sleeping accommodation"?

As I mentioned in the original thread there I pinched the reg quote (See post #46 in that thread):
The Oxford Dictionary says 'Accommodation' is "A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay. ‘they were living in temporary accommodation’ "

Doesn't that put every house down as having "sleeping accommodation" ?

What is your take on "premises with sleeping accommodation"?

As I mentioned in the original thread there I pinched the reg quote (See post #46 in that thread):
The Oxford Dictionary says 'Accommodation' is "A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay. ‘they were living in temporary accommodation’ "

Doesn't that put every house down as having "sleeping accommodation" ?

I would class accommodation as a home of multi-occupation or a hotel or B&B.

BS7671 tends to refere to normal domestic properties as ‘dwellings’.

Best Practice Guides are by description ‘guides’.

It is up to the person doing the work to decide where on the best practice line they wish to be.

For example it is ‘best practice’ to not work live. What people actually do changes with each situation.

Seems daft to me. Everybody should be singing for the same hymn sheet, when your marking something, otherwise there's no standardisation, no consistency.

We have here of just one example, where people have differing opinions, an example which should be cut & dry, either way.

I would class accommodation as a home of multi-occupation or a hotel or B&B.

BS7671 tends to refere to normal domestic properties as ‘dwellings’.

Seems very dubious to me mate.
If the stuff hits the fan and things end up in court I can defo see the prosecutor using the Oxford dictionary. Unless it has the meaning of "accommodation" in the Definitions section of the regs...

If the stuff hits the fan and things end up in court I can defo see the prosecutor using the Oxford dictionary. Unless it has the meaning of "accommodation" in the Definitions section of the regs...

I think they purposely leave things extremely vague, so no one can quote them. After all, they have a lovely section on Definitions; all they got to do is add to it.

Seems daft to me. Everybody should be singing for the same hymn sheet, when your marking something, otherwise there's no standardisation, no consistency.

We have here of just one example, where people have differing opinions, an example which should be cut & dry, either way.

I agree to a certain extent but if it was just black or white then no skill would be required.

I think both could be argued but why would they suddenly change what they refer to as dwellings to accommodation. Now if they have changed all references to dwellings to accommodation then I am on your bus. I will have to check.

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net