Discuss EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
After your thoughts on EICR coding for an existing plastic consumer unit in an under stairs cupboard, firstly in a standard domestic dwelling and secondly in a house of multiple occupancy.
After discussing this others and with tech helplines seems to be a bit of a split as to what code!

An insulated consumer unit in good condition is never ever a C2. Anyone who codes it as such is a chancer IMO.

I generally don't code them unless they are in an understairs cupboard. Begrudgingly I would normally the code it C3 in line with guidance

An insulated consumer unit in good condition is never ever a C2. Anyone who codes it as such is a chancer IMO.

I generally don't code them unless they are in an understairs cupboard. Begrudgingly I would normally the code it C3 in line with guidance
What guidance.

Why is that funny Westward 10 ?
It just is, I have visions of all these incompetent people carrying out Periodics whilst at the same time flicking through a Guide telling them how to do it. Imagine being at the dentist for a root canal and they have the Best Practice Guide for root canal methods propped up on the side.

It just is, I have visions of all these incompetent people carrying out Periodics whilst at the same time flicking through a Guide telling them how to do it. Imagine being at the dentist for a root canal and they have the Best Practice Guide for root canal methods propped up on the side.

The people that write this guide should be allowed to write BS 7671 as its to the point and includes decent examples.

I suggest end users read it .....

All you are saying with a C3 is that a significant improvement to safety can be acheived by in this case making the surrounds or consumer unit fireproof. Personally I feel if it is under a stairs an important escape route could be compromised if a fire started under it. I don't know about you but I would not be happy with that potential risk in my home especially with kids about, being serious for a moment!

Best practice guide No 4

What does it say in the Best Practice Guide No 4 about plastic CU's?
Are we not working to BS7671?
I can't find anywhere in BS7671 that states we should refer to Best Practice Guides.
As stated above, there are thousands of plastic CU's. To code them for just being plastic is wrong IMO.
If you are going to code plastic CU's then you have to code surface mounted cables that don't have adequate support against a fire.

Mr Westward10,
I had a discussion with some friends (all experienced electricians) on this and there were different views. So we called 2 different tech lines to ask theirs, again there were different views. So thought that I would register again (after about 5 years away) with The Electricians Forum just to see what other tradesmen views were. Just to start a discussion!
So I just wondered what your opinion actually was and maybe why?

What does it say in the Best Practice Guide No 4 about plastic CU's?
Are we not working to BS7671?
I can't find anywhere in BS7671 that states we should refer to Best Practice Guides.
As stated above, there are thousands of plastic CU's. To code them for just being plastic is wrong IMO.
If you are going to code plastic CU's then you have to code surface mounted cables that don't have adequate support against a fire.

The guide recommends C3 in individual dwellings and C2 in communal areas of larger shared dwellings for this issue.

This guide is contributed to and endorsed by the IET and BSI among others.

Reply to EICR - PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT CODE C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net