Discuss External metering enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Folks
Could you suggest an fused isolator of choice, to install in a recessed external metering cubicle, in a domestic installation, this will be required to terminate a 25mm SWA
I am unsure of how much space I can utilise of the standard enclosure, not to encroach on the DNO cut-out and meter installation

Well, unfortunately the gestapo don’t allow any equipment in their enclosures apart from their own..
You will need to install an extra enclosure for your kit or have the isolator internal near enough back to back with their meter

In Norwich and Wales, i have been allowed to install a enclosure inside the meter cupboard. Once you get through to the right person and explain they have been happy. To give me the go ahead via email.

seen loads of installs, done in 80's and 90's where isolators have been fitted in meter cabinets at new build stage. as long as there's room, bung one in.

Good plan, until they say OK we'll just remove our equipment from your property.
This all boils down to whether you are willing to stand your ground, and how far you are willing to take it.
The DNOs have no real grounds to refuse to allow an isolator or switchfuse in a meter cupboard.
In fact if you are willing to pay them, I bet they would be quite happy to install one for you.

I've installed loads. As long as you're sensible and leave room for them to fit their equipment I've never had a problem.

Well, unfortunately the gestapo don’t allow any equipment in their enclosures apart from their own..
You will need to install an extra enclosure for your kit or have the isolator internal near enough back to back with their meter
You could get them to provide one...…..I wonder where they would put it?;)

Quick update folks
Called into DNO head office and was able to establish they would accept, an isolation device located tight against the right-hand side, but didn't confirm what space they would be willing to sacrifice, which brings me back to the original question
What switch fuse would be suitable to terminate a 3 core 25mm swa in a small footprint as the cubicle is only 400mm wide
And needs to house the DNO cut out and also

I used one of the crappy metal Lewden 100A switch fuses last time (not my choice!), fitted tight to the bottom right. The meter box was surface mounted with the armour cable sticking out the bottom, though there will be room for the cable to enter the top right of the swfuse if you need to. This left plenty of room for the cutout on the left and loads of room above for meter.

Usually, there is room top right but there is not a lot of room for bending radius for the SWA, therefore, the SWA would need to be made off and slack pushed back. I have not installed any of the new metal switch fuses but the Wylex one seems to look ok I always take into consideration room inside the switch fuse to make off and forming of the 25mm tails as they are sheathed.

Reply to External metering enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock