Discuss Fast track electrician qualification for someone with a Masters in electronic & electrical engineering and 12 years experience in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I hope everyone is well.
I know fast track courses are frowned upon but it would be great to have people's constructive thoughts/recommendations on a fast track electricians course for someone who has a masters in Electronic and electrical engineering and 12 years electronic design experience (mainly at semiconductor transistor level)
I also have a small amount of basic mains electrical experience (specifying cable/equipment requirements for industry and providing some manual labour for qualified electricians from time to time)
I know you have been asked this before but perhaps not from someone with a masters in electrical engineering and 12 years (albeit design) experience.
All my thanks in advance for any advice on what, where and the level of qualification you would recommended.
Cris

Well, my background was similar (though it was 15 years of instrumentation design and construction, with a bit of software/acquisition programming, and some sound engineering/gigging on the side rather than semiconductor design and some industrial engagement). Existing knowledge of Ohm's law, reactance, impedance, power, circuits, taking measurements, possibly motors (electromagnetism), plus an inate logical approach to solving problems with circuits - these will all help. But a lot of what you need to learn will be quite different.

The theory of the C&G 2365 level 2 course will be trivial for you, but there are useful practical things to learn on there. If you have good practical experience through "providing manual labour for qualified electricians" then this will definitely help. The level 3 2365 course gives you the necessary theoretical knowledge you'll need - you may well pick this up quite quickly, but it is different from your existing knowledge base; then the 18th Edition (2382) is a test to see if you know your way around the Regs. Inspection and Testing (2391) builds on the stuff you cover in 2365-03, and adds 3 phase I&T.

Combining the above with a portfolio of work and the AM2 assessment will get you an NVQ (2357?)

I'm afraid I don't really know anything about "domestic installer" courses, sorry, so perhaps the above won't answer your question. But I can tell you that with the exceptions of some of the basics I mentioned above, and perhaps experience of solving problems logically, much of what you learnt will not be applicable.

It sort of depends on what area you want to work in, too. I note your location says you're in Scotland - I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the requirements there for registration etc, hopefully someone with knowledge of that can point you in the right direction.

May try and give Select a call, as they should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.

BTW as part of your degree, if you had any workshop experience (certain universities used to do this, usually during 1st year) then this may count towards helping you fast track.

Wishing you all the best on your journey

Reply to Fast track electrician qualification for someone with a Masters in electronic & electrical engineering and 12 years experience in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock