Discuss Fault Finding a LV light Fitting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

acvc

-
Reaction score
Can anyone telkl me if this is an ok way to test if a transformer is working ok? I don't want to damage it.

Situation: ceiling light fitting with 12 small halogen lamps, all run from a transformer inside the fitting cap, 230V to primary, 11.5V out of secondary side. It's not on the ceiling now, it's on the floor. Would it be ok/safe just to put a plug on the flex and my megger across the output side to check the voltage. If 11.5V reading, then transformer ok?

The thing doesn't work any more. One lamp went and I left it for a few weeks and I suspect that it might have had a bad effect on the transformer, calling for a different load from whet it was designed to offer????????

I've continuity tested through all the other lamps and they are ok.

Hi ACVC
You say the tranny runs 12 hals and 1 blew i take it none of the others work now ? are they recest lamps or is this a main light ? best way is test under load as could be dropping under load ! or could be cable fault etc.
Regards
Kung.

If you are confident then yes, powering up the fitting and taking a voltage reading from the output side is a good start.

As Hughesy said, there could be a thermal cutout that may not even reset for some reason.

Apoplogies for not replying sooner. I had to dash out.

NO thermal cut-out apparent. Just a circular transformer case, no written mention on it or instructions re thermal cut-out. The only accessible wiring/connection on the transformer are the L-N in and out.

NO. The other 11 lamps continued to work for three weeks till the whole thing packed in, and as far as i can deduce from continuiity testing through each one, they still are working (apart from the original one which isn't).

It's a singular ceiling pendant fitting with multiple lamps (12), not recessed.

Many thanks for replies, apologies once again.

Have you tested the voltage on the outgoing of the transformer yet,sounds like the transformer is faulty to me

Reply to Fault Finding a LV light Fitting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock