Discuss Gas Cooker conked and electrical cooker replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really does need an electrician getting in.

Try getting one, and then try dealing with the risks with virus in the household. I think I will have get elecy if it keeps tripping out. But will try the below first...

GENERAL TEST APPROACH
-Do wiring again and careful of N & E shorts
-Check the RCD
-If tripping lift Boiler FCU Neutral to boiler and see if can reset RCD

If still have tripping issues:
-Check whats going off and how in fuseboard
-Take photo of fuseboard circuit
-Do some MM testing with fuseboard

... seem ok?

OK - V's between Boiler FCU Earth to double socket Earth

The fact that you measure a voltage albeit small between the earth conductor of the boiler fcu and the earth conductor of the double socket on the right indicates a break in continuity of an earth conductor (more correctly circuit protective conductor cpc). This fault could be on the ring or on the radial to fcu or both. If the cpc between the fcu and the consumer unit and the cpcs of the ring back to the cu where complete and connected correctly then no voltage can exist between the boiler and double socket cpcs because they are effectively joined together. This state of affairs can cause an rcd to trip.

Time to call in a sparks with the right test equipment.

You can forget about taking the lid off the cu.

Last edited:
OK - V's between Boiler FCU Earth to double socket Earth

The fact that you measure a voltage albeit small between the earth conductor of the boiler fcu and the earth conductor of the double socket on the right indicates a break in continuity of an earth conductor (more correctly circuit protective conductor cpc). This fault could be on the ring or on the radial to fcu or both. If the cpc between the fcu and the consumer unit and the cpcs of the ring back to the cu where complete and connected correctly then no voltage can exist between the boiler and double socket cpcs because they are effectively joined together. This state of affairs can cause an rcd to trip.
Haven't measured anything yet, assume this Earth to Earth V measurement test is to be done before any wiring changes to the Boiler radial and Kitchen Ring (seperate circuits) - and should come back with a 0v if there is no break in continuity.

Just have to clarify this (PANIC STATIONS).

You are saying to connect from the Boiler FCU supply input to the TWIN SOCKET?

Think you're saying don't connect from the FCU output going to the boiler.

Attached a diagram of potential new wiring - is this correct? - wire from the Twin socket into the Boiler FCU Live, Neutral & Earth Supply connections??

And terminal block connect the incoming 32A ring supply to the HOB FCU??
Yes. The 20A circuit is a 'radial', and you can feed multiple accessories (within reason) by daisy-chaining them. It's not the same as a ring.
So you connect the twin socket to the 2.5mm cable going into the boiler fcu, not the fused output of the fcu.
Live coming into fcu goes to live of twin socket, etc.

And then that fcu is left feeding the boiler exactly as it was before, same fuse, unchanged wiring on the output.

If you have a bit of spare 3 core wiring in which the earth does not have a sleeve, is that okay to use to connect the twin socket to the boiler FCU?

As already stated whilst forum is happy to help the DIYer it has to draw the line at step by step guidance. This task is way out of your comfort zone and the pic in #51 demonstrates this because the back box with the block connectors floating about in it is no longer earthed. Because you have interfered with the existing wiring you now have an rcd tripping with no idea as to why so I suggest you reinstate what you have altered and call an electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Cooker conked and electrical cooker replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net