Discuss Gas Engineer and competent electric cooker installer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

CraigF

-
Reaction score
I'm a gas engineer working for a well known retailer. Spend all day Installing cooking/laundry. Electrical training is pretty poor on their part. Here to educate myself in best practice/regs. Pretty sure much of what they ask us to do electrics wise is beyond our competency.

Howdy Craig :)
Can you give us some examples of such electrical work?
My main concern is around extending a cooker radial from the terminal box to take an oven and hob. We're asked to swap a single gang terminal for a two gang to split the fee, add a 13A socket/fcu to one and connect the hob to the other. My interpretation of regs is that that work is beyond what a "competent" cooker installer would do as it is extending/altering the circuit as opposed to replacing l/f/l.

My main concern is around extending a cooker radial from the terminal box to take an oven and hob. We're asked to swap a single gang terminal for a two gang to split the fee, add a 13A socket/fcu to one and connect the hob to the other. My interpretation of regs is that that work is beyond what a "competent" cooker installer would do as it is extending/altering the circuit as opposed to replacing l/f/l.

This peace of kit is a good one to have at hand. Used it loads of times myself, so have the rest of the guys here;

Gas Engineer and competent electric cooker installer {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Its a Scolmore dual appliance outlet.

As per the FCU, need to discuss more. Guys will advise.

Perhaps "your concern" may not be as justified as you believe at this time
The cooker radial circuit should/probably will have, at source a protective device rated for the cable which will protect it from overload so changing from 1 to 2 outlets should not be too much of a concern

Example is a socket radial,the quantity of outlets is not a bother, the total load from any amount of outlets cannot overload the cable as long as the protective device is sized correctly

It is one of those things that fall between the cracks of non scrutiny and it is "probably" ok. However if things did go wrong and without suitable qualifications and testing and issuing of certificate (MEIWC) for instance then someone is going down. It is ok as long as nothing goes wrong. Under H&S and EAWR it is the responsibility of your employer and you (a legal responsibility) to ensure proper working practices are in place. As I say if nothing goes wrong then fine, but if it does you have no defence at law or under EAWR in that you have done all that is reasonable. I.E. Testing, qualification, and sufficient "skill" as it is now to ensure the safest possible working practices. So you are intrinsically in a weak position. Although the electrics you describe are admittedly seemingly ok. As I say if something goes wrong...

20p more :) - if they're asking you to change the installation rather than just connect to it, then you need to be able to test and minor works verify in my opinion.

Reply to Gas Engineer and competent electric cooker installer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock