Discuss Hand dryer install in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have hand dryers to install
Can these be spurred off a ring main circuit
Or do they have to have dedicated circuits
They are 10A units and the ring main only supply computers radios so nothing with a heavy load.

Usually a hand dryer would just be put on the ring circuit using a FCU (Fused Connection Unit) as they are no more onerous a load than a kettle. Of course, having checked it is RCD protected...

You don't say how many dryers you are installing … I have 3 to install on Tuesday, and will be putting in a new circuit, because they will all get used repeatedly at the same time (break time).

Usually a hand dryer would just be put on the ring circuit using a FCU (Fused Connection Unit) as they are no more onerous a load than a kettle. Of course, having checked it is RCD protected...
Thanks that makes it alot easier as the distribution boards aren't close
[automerge]1590217460[/automerge]
You don't say how many dryers you are installing … I have 3 to install on Tuesday, and will be putting in a new circuit, because they will all get used repeatedly at the same time (break time).
4 but they are located in different area so only 1 per circuit

Last edited:
That should be ok with FCU isolator.
As above, RCD protection required on the supply circuit.
Why is RCD protection required on the supply circuit for a hand dryer fed from an FCU, whether from a dedicated circuit or an existing ring? There may be specific instances such as the alteration or addition including a buried cable but otherwise a blanket statement that RCD protection is required is misleading.

Most hand dryers are a waste of time and money imo. They make a lot of noise and do not even dry your hands invariably, unless you have ten minutes spare and manage to activate them consistently. I think the blade dryer is good though having said that. I always recommend paper towels on a radial.

You don't see driers in hospitals they carry germs into the air paper towels more hygienic but costly in longer term

a bit of science fact by washing you hands and using a hand drier will spread what is on your hands with any spores left over will fly through the air by using paper dry you hands will elimanate the spread of any germ .

Mythbusters did a thing on this. As above paper hand dryers are a lot better.

You've got that backwards, hand dryers should be removed and replaced with paper towels because of covid 19
And so folk wash their hands instead of giving up because there is a queue waiting for the single dryer trying to cover 4 or more hand basins that provide 4-6 toilets and/or urinals (that was put in to replace a single paper towel dispenser)

And so folk wash their hands instead of giving up because there is a queue waiting for the single dryer trying to cover 4 or more hand basins that provide 4-6 toilets and/or urinals (that was put in to replace a single paper towel dispenser)
you see that at motorway stations all the charp on the walls when you use them .

Those dyson ones are the worst, you have to put your hands into the narrow gap and try like hell to not touch either side of it as the jet of air is trying to strip the skin from your hands.

Ok, so I had it slighly wrong.
If you have cleaned your hands properly with soap, then there is no bacteria on your hands once you have finished.

If you don't clean your hands properly then a hand blower is a lot worse than paper hand towels as paper hand towels remove more left over bacteria than blowers and don't blow the bacteria around the surrounding area.

Yes, the blowers do blow water from your hands to the surroundings but it is bacteria free.

Conclusion for this thread: As @davesparks has said, replace roller towel with paper towel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry2CS4vHlCQ

Ok, so I had it slighly wrong.
If you have cleaned your hands properly with soap, then there is no bacteria on your hands once you have finished.

Only if everybody usimg it has washed their hands properly, but then they still end up creating a warm damp enviroment on the handdryer itself for bacteria to grow in.
Plus all the fluff and junk that gets collected in the air inlet filters allows bacteria to collect and breed there too before being blown out of the nozzle.

Reply to Hand dryer install in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock