Discuss How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very interesting thread. My tuppence worth is simply that no matter what industry or profession is involved, the problem is simply the setting of "targets".
Worry over losing your job means "targets" can change the way someone does their job.
The banking and insurance business are other prime examples of targets making people do things they wouldn't normally do, or omit things they know they ought to do.
Targets are evil. I won't bore you with examples, but much misery has been caused by them, and greed and the imposition of targets caused the crash of 2008, and the scandal of mis-sold endowment policies is further clear evidence. Those scandals were bad enough, with financial ruin for many...in your profession as electricians death is a possible consequence...
Targets are evil.

This is a very interesting thread. My tuppence worth is simply that no matter what industry or profession is involved, the problem is simply the setting of "targets".
Worry over losing your job means "targets" can change the way someone does their job.
The banking and insurance business are other prime examples of targets making people do things they wouldn't normally do, or omit things they know they ought to do.
Targets are evil. I won't bore you with examples, but much misery has been caused by them, and greed and the imposition of targets caused the crash of 2008, and the scandal of mis-sold endowment policies is further clear evidence. Those scandals were bad enough, with financial ruin for many...in your profession as electricians death is a possible consequence...
Targets are evil.
All company's are obsessed with targets, its the bain of everyday working lives for all, quality suffers, morale.
IMO you cant have quality and quantity the two just dont mix.

Of course companies are obsessed with targets, they try to set them at a realistic level, usually in consultation with the Union or workforce representative, companies need to know they are getting value for money, in days gone by I can remember a neighbour who talked extensively about how long he spent playing cards behind some packing case's, the company he worked for was a large multinational called AEG who no longer exist, I wonder why, if targets had existed then the company would have been making money instead of throwing it away on lazy employees.

Of course companies are obsessed with targets, they try to set them at a realistic level, usually in consultation with the Union or workforce representative, companies need to know they are getting value for money, in days gone by I can remember a neighbour who talked extensively about how long he spent playing cards behind some packing case's, the company he worked for was a large multinational called AEG who no longer exist, I wonder why, if targets had existed then the company would have been making money instead of throwing it away on lazy employees.
I was just waiting for an answer like yours. lol
Anyway the point is about this very debate, achievable targets loads of comments about how 5 EICR's are not possible, my point is if they were met then it would not be 5 it would be 10, you must understand about the concept of targets, its about greed, not the very small percent about lazy oiks.

I was a stevedore for many years and spent many happy years playing cards on ships ?.....the company introduced a target system which resulted in damage and injuries as people took short cuts to meet the targets to get a bonus of get home earlier, once the company had sorted these issues and got productivity to a point they were happy with they removed the targets and rewards associated and constantly pushed for more in the hope that productivity would remain.....they didn’t.....

Reactions: DPG
I was just waiting for an answer like yours. lol
Anyway the point is about this very debate, achievable targets loads of comments about how 5 EICR's are not possible, my point is if they were met then it would not be 5 it would be 10, you must understand about the concept of targets, its about greed, not the very small percent about lazy oiks.
Quality too, I have seen it happen with my own eyes.

Its not a very small percentage of lazy oiks that send a successful company bankrupt or targets that cause accidents or damage it's the workforce trying to earn more money because of the way the unions had negotiated the targets and bonus system, don't get me wrong all of these systems and targets where a necessary evil in their day when the unions had the power to hold companies to ransom, perhaps I am a bit older than most on here and remember the unions holding the country to ransom on occasions, the piles of rotting waste along every street was not very nice especially with the power cuts at the same time, then the petrol shortage cause by pickets at the gates of depots etc......................

As a comment try telling Toyota that quality and quantity don't mix, or come to that any Japanese car manufacturer.

AEG no longer exist because the company was bought up and it's operations integrated into other companies, it's something happens a lot you might have missed it while you were playing cards

Successful companies do not get bought out, they go into receivership when they are no longer viable, AEG's assets where bought by Electrolux from the receiver.

Successful companies do not get bought out, they go into receivership when they are no longer viable, AEG's assets where bought by Electrolux from the receiver.
Successful companies do get bought out usually by a hostile takeover
So Daimler-Benz took over AEG in 1985 and Electrolux acquired the AEG household division in 1994 but only obtained the rights to use the brand name in 2005. When did Daimler-Benz go into receivership then?

No idea, I am not trying to start an argument, it was just an opinion on the EICR results and how many should be done in a day, seems we have got way off track.

I have already said previously that when I did this it took me about two days for a three bedroom house with full inspection and documentation, but then I worked at my own speed with no one looking over my shoulder.

The City & Guilds are just as bad as the schemes by allowing the get trained quick providers to devalue it's qualifications. The 2391 was meant to be an extension to and underpinned by a core qualification that was a requirement of entry to the course and exam yet every man and his dog can get the 2391 without meeting the course entry requirements if you pay the money to these quick training providers, yet the 2391 is still used as a measure of competence when it comes to inspect and test above any other qualification that may or may not be held by the operative looking for scheme assessment / membership or doing an ECIR.
I don't see why that would make C&G bad. The adult training providers provide the exact same training an apprentice gets but in a condensed time frame. It's literally exactly the same - if you can do what an apprentice can do after 3 years you pass, if not, you don't.

The real problem is the lack of on-site experience and tutelage under an already-qualified spark.

But that's not the training providers fault. Anyone wanting to get into the industry has no chance after age 21 without these providers.

If anything i would have thought someone paying out almost ten grand to retrain would be more dedicated than your average 'stand on my phone all day fanying about' 16 year old.

I think it should be changed to make the quals line up with electricians mate work. Do the C&G and then it's a mandatory 2 years as a mate whilst doing the NVQ before you can work alone. That would seem more reasonable to me.

But the C&G is 90% theory and so you either know it or you don't. There's no reason it cannot be condensed from the 1 day a week over 2 years into a 16 week full-time course.

The real problem is the lack of on-site experience and tutelage under an already-qualified spark.

But that's not the training providers fault. Anyone wanting to get into the industry has no chance after age 21 without these providers.
Yes, the (lack of) experience of putting theory in to practice is the issue.

But the training providers are selling these course to the trainees and industry as a solution to getting skilled staff quickly.

What is needed is more support for apprenticeship-like schemes for all ages, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that :(

Yes, the (lack of) experience of putting theory in to practice is the issue.

But the training providers are selling these course to the trainees and industry as a solution to getting skilled staff quickly.

What is needed is more support for apprenticeship-like schemes for all ages, but I won't hold my breath waiting for that :(
It's not a sale for getting skilled staff quickly - even after the course you still have to pass the NVQ and AM2 which means you have to be working and providing evidence that you can do the job etc and the quickest i've ever heard of anyone doing it was about 6 weeks but he'd already been working in the game for several years before doing proper training.

They say allow at least 6-18 months depending on the speed of your uptake of information etc.

I mean i guess you can go sign up to a scam and do it that way without the NVQ but you can do that with essentially no training at all.

I'm retraining at the minute after years out of the game and i intend on only looking for work as a mate for at least a year after i've passed my C&G/Inspection and Testing/18th ed.

I should have a headstart on a lot of other people since i can essentially build a house from scratch already but it's nice to know i'm at the level of a freshly qualified spark before tackling work on my own. I just don't see how someone can do a course and then just be off out into the wide world alone unless they are doing very basic work.

You need to realise that everyone is different. I know that flies in the face of the modern world view that we are all homogenous... but we're not. So someone that's been through the whole apprenticeship/NVQ/AM2 route might not be as 'good' as someone that's been on short courses and self-trained.

Personally, I don't trust anyones 'qualifications' (regardless of subject/vocation). I've known too many people over the years with all the right things on paper but are totally useless !

There's far too much OCS (official certificate syndrome) going on these days for my liking...

When I was working on the Tower Hotel, the fitter on site welded a Phosphor Bonze bracket with standard welding gear, I told him that's not possible, well one geotechnical Xray proved me wrong and him right, according to science I should have been to one that was correct, the old boy that carried out the welding had no qualifications just years of experience.

You need to realise that everyone is different. I know that flies in the face of the modern world view that we are all homogenous... but we're not. So someone that's been through the whole apprenticeship/NVQ/AM2 route might not be as 'good' as someone that's been on short courses and self-trained.

Personally, I don't trust anyones 'qualifications' (regardless of subject/vocation). I've known too many people over the years with all the right things on paper but are totally useless !

There's far too much OCS (official certificate syndrome) going on these days for my liking...
Here here. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How many eicr in a day in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock