Discuss How many of you use a Leatherman or similar multi-tool or EDC on a regular basis? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Idly wondering if many use such a tool...
I find mine very useful for odd tasks, and a godsend for certain others, like when you are back up the ladder and you need a knife/file/scissors/small screwdriver.
Many are one-handed operation and give you just the tool you need from time to time.

It's just another string to your bow, i guess...
Always a problem carrying a knife though...
however, some don't have a blade at all, for just that reason. I wouldn't bother with a bladeless one though. I like a sharp blade and a serrated blade...the latter is great for chopping out plasterboard.
I use a couple of Leatherman ones, one doesn't have a locking blade so apparently is legal to carry, but i wouldn't want to argue that point with the police...
The other has all locking blades/screwdrivers/scissors etc and never leaves my side when on a job. The wire cutters are very useful on small jobs as are the pliers. The one-handed operation can indeed be very useful!

like when you are back up the ladder and you need a knife/file/scissors/small screwdriver
Is this a posh Swiss Army knife?
Up a ladder and you need a bottle opener and something to get the stones out of horses hooves...... up a ladder?
There are some useless ones. I’ve seen one that’s a screwdriver, pliers and when you close it up it looks like a hammer. Not any use AS a hammer, but certainly looks like one.... a little

Up a ladder and you need to cut and strip a couple of cables, pull them through a hole in the wall, screw a JB to a joist, open a beer...
like I said, just another string to your bow!
[automerge]1579475407[/automerge]
With you there, SparkySy!

I’ve always had leatherman but don’t use it often now. I like the Wave, nice size and very durable.

I was introduced to Leatherman over 25 years ago in Norway when working alongside the US forces, traded a beret and cap badge for one.

As for Gerber, stick them up yer bum... ?

The Leatherman are nicely made and finished,as are the dearer Gerber models,but only for specific tasks,or situations. Any locking part,and it's certainty of being described as a bladed article,rules it out,as every day carry.

I always have a UKPK Spyderco,as permanent carry,having used it to the extreme benefit of other folk,on two occasions,i would not be without it. There are situations where it has to be handed over,but always gets receipted and returned.

I have a beautiful,Buck locking knife,with bearings,walnut scales,and a cracking edge,but it's possession has to be specific....forget it's on your belt,whilst shopping,and the opportunity to lose good repute,is a risk.

Personally,i would like to roam wherever,with a Samuri sword,and a loaded musket.....but we live where we are,and have to play the game...:)

I’ve a Gerber, which I bought 20 years ago in US. Never really used until I started work in maintenance, last year. Dead handy to have, for the odd thing. However, I’ve managed to snap the tip off the knife and the file, trying to lever open things. And it’s started to rust.

Leatherman surge for me. Carry it all the time. I have a habit of going to the van for cable and forgetting to take cutters, so the surge is always there for me to use.

I’ve a Gerber, which I bought 20 years ago in US. Never really used until I started work in maintenance, last year. Dead handy to have, for the odd thing. However, I’ve managed to snap the tip off the knife and the file, trying to lever open things. And it’s started to rust.

I also bought one,in the US,thirty years back,as a gift for a pal? he still has it,but as a momento,not everyday tool.

The good quality steel,does require oiling up,as rust will form,ans the complex design,collects every bit of dust and grit....

There is a Youtube chimney dude,who seems to use his for every task ..... (maybe forcing a sponsor bid...) i suppose it's all about practicality V convenience ....i dare say,the biggest Swiss army knife...Champ XLT??....would be useful,but it's a lump of features to haul about,the rest of the week....

Yes. I have a leatherman rev which is in my work trouser pocket always. Comes in useful at least 5 times a week.

Please, contact Gerber, they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY. I have carried one of their tools for almost 20 years. Here in Texas the locking aspect isn't an issue. I prefer the Gerber over the Leatherman, because of the snap open feature. I can remove from my side holster, snap my wrist, and it is deployed and ready to use. Not where you have to fold it out of itself, like the Leatherman.
My original had the camo paint coating peeling off, and they sent me a new one, no cost. I have replaced several over the years, as I use it daily.

Please, contact Gerber, they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY. I have carried one of their tools for almost 20 years. Here in Texas the locking aspect isn't an issue. I prefer the Gerber over the Leatherman, because of the snap open feature. I can remove from my side holster, snap my wrist, and it is deployed and ready to use. Not where you have to fold it out of itself, like the Leatherman.
My original had the camo paint coating peeling off, and they sent me a new one, no cost. I have replaced several over the years, as I use it daily.

I used it to try & open a tin of paint. Snapped the file blade. Tried the knife & snapped that :weary:

I used it to try & open a tin of paint. Snapped the file blade. Tried the knife & snapped that :weary:
I personally would have used the slot screwdriver attachment.
But they are very liberal with their warranty. You will need to send your old one back to them, so postage across the pond may not be worth it to you. But they are $100 for one here in the US.

But they are very liberal with their warranty. You will need to send your old one back to them, so postage across the pond may not be worth it to you. But they are $100 for one here in the US.
My EDCs are Wallet, Cell and a Picture of Her in doors. LOL

There's no warranty, that will cover you (me) for being an idiot. :)

It can't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no. But if you are lucky, you get a brand new tool for the cost of postage.
They even replaced my holster when the bottom wore out of it from as much as I use it.
They are a GREAT company.

I've looked at their T&C's. It clearly states they don't cover accidental damage caused by morons :)

Reply to How many of you use a Leatherman or similar multi-tool or EDC on a regular basis? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock