Discuss I am getting very high zs readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's actually how I was taught and what GN3 appears to say; Julie's logic and reasoning is spot on, and in this case I might have done it anyway to help build a picture of what is going on.

No argument about the logic/reasoning. I'm also mindful that GN3 implies that in all circumstances where you have live final circuits (required for these tests) you should have the bonding connected. But it also doesn't specifically describe the Zdb test as far as I can tell.

It only seems to discuss two cases - testing external earth loop impedance with main earth disconnected, and all other earth loop impedance tests where it says that "for safety and practical reasons neither the connection with Earth nor bonding conductors are disconnected". (Page 66)
So while I think it might have been a handy test to do I wouldn't say the OP is doing it wrong either.
That's really why measuring R1+R2 dead, and calculating zs from the ze/zdb + the measured circuit loop resistance is the usual practice, it allows you to obtain the minimum zs whilst not exposing users to an un-bonded system.

by disconnecting main bonding conductors to water and Gas?
Exactly.

Just as @Julie. says when you have the bonding in place you might have parallel paths lowering the supply's R2, hence you might see a much higher PFC and that is something to take in to account when verifying that OCPD is able to safely interrupt it.

However, such parallel paths are not guaranteed to remain. So if someone replaces some of a metal water pipe with plastic you might lose a parallel path and so the only safe assumption is the supply earth is there for faults. So checking Ze allows you to check that under a change of bonded part(s) you are still able to disconnect fast enough under fault conditions.

Yes, typically the only way to measure Ze is to isolate the installation supply (usually via the incoming switch) so it is completely dead, and then disconnect the supply earth and measure to it, and put it back immediately. Removing the bond conductors might do it, but as you can have links from the installation CPC to extraneous metalwork via boiler CPC, immersion heater CPC, or supplementary bonding, etc, you can never be sure.

Measuring Zs is simpler as everything is still in place. Of course if the supply earth is faulty then you would risk raising the CPC and any extraneous parts with a high impedance to potentially dangerous voltages, but most MFT will usually throttle the test current if they see a voltage change that could exceed 50V to keep things reasonably safe.

Reply to I am getting very high zs readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net