Discuss Identifying fused switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought a house and I have a fused switch in my living room which I don't know what it's for.

I believe it was a switch for a electric fireplace that has been removed but the switch was left there.

How can I check and could I possibly change it to a single plug socket instead?

Thanks

20230902_195938.jpg
20230902_200003.jpg

It looks like what was connected from it has now been removed, the old cpc for the connected cord is still there. The likelihood it can be changed for a socket is probably yes but it would require additional RCD protection if not already in place.

As WW says , a socket will requite RCD protection ( you might already have this ) and a bit of other basic testing like earth continuity. literally a 10 minute job for a sparks

Thanks for the replies.

I was going to attempt to do it myself but am I better off calling a sparky to be safe?
If your CU (consumer unit = fuse box) already has RCD protection and you have some degree of technical skill it is an easy DIY job. If not, then get a sparky in to add RCD protection, etc.

If you are doing it yourself then please get at least a basic socket tester to verify all is well after installation. Something like this is better as it checks if the earth is good as well as providing an RCD test button to verify a fault would trip it:

After you do this socket, take some time to go round the rest of your sockets with the tester just in case...

Highly likely it is on the downstair socket circuit... but ive seen many fireplace points on their own radial circuit.
Just be careful that it is isolated before working on it.

Reply to Identifying fused switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net