Discuss I'm looking for advice on using a leisure battery for a catering van. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What equipment will you be running?

We will need to know expected loads, operating time etc.

A list of appliance ratings would be a good start.

What equipment will you be running?

We will need to know expected loads, operating time etc.

A list of appliance ratings would be a good start.
Thanks for the reply! Please see attached a list of my equipment. The items in red I am hoping to buy LPG so it's a smaller load. Thanks

Attachments

• I'm looking for advice on using a leisure battery for a catering van. Screenshot_20210711_140918 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20210711_140918.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 31
With that lot at full load your looking around 50 amps, factor in appliances cycling through heating and cooling I would guesstimate 30 amp load.

Using an 8Kw inverter you should get around 20 minutes out of a 220Ah battery.

Is that all it would last for? My services last 3 hours with approx half an hour running before we open.
That's an approximation. There's a lot of factors that can add/detract from battery life such as temperature, humidity, inverter losses etc.

You may want to consider solar panels to top up etc but you will need a large battery system to support your current needs. Also you need to consider recharge times and method of charging, your vehicles alternator will not be capable of recharging the battery bank, it's only designed to cover the vehicles basic needs plus a little bit more.

What size is your catering van? What space do you have available inside it for electrical power storage and conversion equipment? If it is easier just send me some pictures and the van box exterior measurements.

If I said you could only have half the items in your electrical list what would they be?

In what vehicle do you drive to and from your catering van each day for service?

Run a generator on your LPG supply. The world produces more LPG than it uses (as a inevitable consequence of oil extraction), and the excess is burnt off.
Any LPG that you use simply means that the same amount isn't burnt off somewhere else, so it's the one truly green fuel.
Your local emissions will be almost solely water vapour and carbon dioxide.

+1 for LPG.

Marconi knows whereof he speaks and may have many practical and useful suggestions. But be warned: Ye cannae change the laws of physics! Any heating equipment whatsoever is an uphill struggle with batteries. For example, your hot cupboard (if consuming 800 watts continuously) will use up one fully charged 110Ah leisure battery per hour.

Footie is into extra time now so I will come back to this later...

What size is your catering van? What space do you have available inside it for electrical power storage and conversion equipment? If it is easier just send me some pictures and the van box exterior measurements.

If I said you could only have half the items in your electrical list what would they be?

In what vehicle do you drive to and from your catering van each day for service?
Hello, it's an Iveco Daily long wheel base with high roof. There's space underneath one of my tables approx 1.5 meters wide by 90cm high.
Do you have an email address I could send photos too?
I just drive to our pitch in the catering van. Thank you!

What are your opening times? And on which days? How many miles between home and catering site? - Carting heavy batteries to and fro will decrease your vehicle's fuel economy - a cost to you.

And the answer to my other earlier question is?

I've asked a couple of questions on a festivals page I'm on and the vast majority of caterers are using LPG for food prep etc with only basic electric for lighting and minimal socket outlets. Even the fridges are LPG.

Reply to I'm looking for advice on using a leisure battery for a catering van. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock