Discuss Install new oven & induction hob to existing circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All. Just a little help I need connecting a electric oven and induction hob. The existing is a 32 amp MCB in the consumer unit. A 4m run of 6mm sq t&e cable from mcb going to a 45A cooker control switch. From here a 6mm sq t&e going into cooker connection unit. I have removed the old electric oven which was connected to the cooker connection unit with 6mm sq t&e cable. I want to connect a new 2.5kw oven and a 6.4kw induction hob. I have a 45 Amp Dual Appliance / Cooker Outlet Plate which will replace the existing cooker connection unit. Is it ok to connect both appliances to the new dual appliance connection unit so they are on the same circuit. If so then what size cable do I need to connect the oven to the connection unit. The hob already has a 5 core cable with the blue and grey cable joined together at the end and the black and brown also joined together. It looks like a 3 phase cable. Any help on this will be much appreciated.
Thanx

Stanley Unwin strikes again, eh, buzz...….;)

As regards the question, buzz ain't far off.

My Sparky is not available at the moment. I'm here in the kitchen fitting units and have come to the oven part of the installation. I need to get this kitchen finished quite quickly. In the instructions there's nothing about connecting 2 appliances to the same circuit.
Thanx

"Star command calling buzzlightyear." Need your help to save me from my wife.
"STEVEN When are you going to finish that kitchen"
Oh no she's coming with the rolling pin to whip my ---

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the OSG in respect of ovens and hobs etc and applying diversity taking into account your cable size and length, you’ll get your answer. :D

Not trying to save a few bob. Just trying to save time. If Its possible to connect both to the existing then I'll do it now. So that I can continue with installing the oven housing cabinet then at least I'll have the wiring ready.

yes you can connect both into a dual connection unit. the 32A MCB and 6.0mm will be fine. just follow manufacturers instructions for final connection/s.

Thanks for your help Telectrix and your time. Much appreciated.

I have read the manufacturers instructions.
and it says "This appliance must be connected directly to the mains using an omnipolar circuit breaker with a minimum opening of 3mm between contacts"
Then it goes on to say in adifferent paragraph "This appliance requires a 32amp miniature circuit breaker"

Install new oven & induction hob to existing circuit Hob Installation - EletriciansForums.net

The induction hob draws quite a bit of current. On its own I would say it's spot on using a 32amp mcb and 6mm twin & earth however, adding another 2.5kw (oven) to the equation this would/could tip it over the edge at around 38A in total. (not knowing the reference method it's difficult to say) There is every chance that each appliance could be used to its full capacity when doing a lovely Sunday roast for example. Most modern ovens are designed to simply plug into the ring circuit so does the oven have a 13amp plug on it? This is why it's never a simple answer unless we know all the facts. Some answers/comments sound a little "unhelpful" but we don't know the full picture.

Thanks for your help John.
I actually have 2 kitchens in my property. I wouldnt run the new oven and hob at the same time as I have a 5 burner gas hob in the other kitchen.

Thanks for your help John.
I actually have 2 kitchens in my property. I wouldnt run the new oven and hob at the same time as I have a 5 burner gas hob in the other kitchen.

You'd use the hob in one kitchen and the oven in another kitchen when preparing parts of the same meal ?

Reply to Install new oven & induction hob to existing circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock