Discuss Install new oven & induction hob to existing circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You'd use the hob in one kitchen and the oven in another kitchen when preparing parts of the same meal ?

No we always cook in the other kitchen which has an oven. and a 5 burner hob
The Newly installed hob will only be used when my son cooks his fry ups. The oven in here won't run at the same time. We sometimes need to use two ovens at the same time but never two hobs at the same time.

I understand it's your kitchen Steve however it still needs to be right electrically and to the regulations. Let's say you sell the house in the future and the new owners are not aware of the "special" arrangement of the cooker and hob. I know it all sounds a bit over the top but it is a requirement to do it right. With the cooker having no plug on it this tells me it will more than likely draw a higher current than a fan assisted plug in oven which to be honest enhances the requirement of it needing another supply. The problem also is that the cooker will be backed up by a 32amp circuit breaker when in actual fact this would be too large. It should be on it's own radial backed up with a 16amp circuit breaker. If you ran a piece of 2.5mm twin and earth through the cabinets and leave it on the coil the sparky could continue to run it to the consumer unit to finish it off. This way you could finish the kitchen but not compromise the electrical installation. The induction hob can be connected to your existing 6mm supply.

So you telling me that I do need another circuit going back to the consumer unit If so then I dont think i have any more room in the consumer unit for another fuse. Just asking the question so im prepared for the extra cost of a new consumer unit and rewiring for it when my sparky comes

He might be able to come off the ring (socket circuit) and use a 20A double pole switch. It's just too much combined on the one circuit with your induction hob. It caught me out when I bought an induction hob to be honest. I ended up using it in my flat and using a combined induction/gas hob in the house. It was half the power as it only had two induction rings. Shout at your sparky and tell him he's needed on the job :D

You can run them on one circuit. Ovens and hobs never take full load continuously. They cycle on and off. Read up on diversity. The cooker is OK on the 32 amp MCB which is there to protect the cable (which you have oversized anyway as 4mm would do) not the cooker on the end of it.

You can run them on one circuit. Ovens and hobs never take full load continuously. They cycle on and off. Read up on diversity. The cooker is OK on the 32 amp MCB which is there to protect the cable (which you have oversized anyway as 4mm would do) not the cooker on the end of it.

Thanks for your help George.
So I can do it even though the instructions say "This appliance must be connected directly to the mains using an omnipolar circuit breaker with a minimum opening of 3mm between contacts"
Sorry about so many questions. Just want to do it right just in case my sparky doesnt get back to me soon.

ovens and hobs up to a total rating of 15kW have been fine for the last 60 + years with both on a 32A MCB (6.0mm cable, ref. method withstanding). same loads, same electrickery these days in spite of the EU(rinal) woth their stupid cable colours and phantom 230V. why should it change?

Diversity:- Dance Group :D Seriously though, fair enough if it's quoted somewhere that diversity is allowed for then I'll go with that.

same electrickery these days in spite of the EU(rinal) woth their stupid cable colours and phantom 230V.

Neither of those were anything to do with the EU, but I take your point.

So I can do it even though the instructions say "This appliance must be connected directly to the mains using an omnipolar circuit breaker with a minimum opening of 3mm between contacts"

Indeed, the instructions are guidance not law.

ovens and hobs up to a total rating of 15kW have been fine for the last 60 + years with both on a 32A MCB (6.0mm cable, ref. method withstanding). same loads, same electrickery these days in spite of the EU(rinal) woth their stupid cable colours and phantom 230V. why should it change?
Is this your personal rule of thumb? Based on I guess a circa 50% diversity factor for the 6mm/B32 combo?

it's a well used formula... 10A + 30% of remainder
Just had a look at OSG (amd3, havent got latest to hand) and you are correct for assessment of load on a final circuit to use that formula, can't get 15kW though...I get 13.8 to 14.4 depending on which voltage you prefer (!) thats for 2 appliances on same circuit.

Reply to Install new oven & induction hob to existing circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock