Discuss Is my Bosch mains cable up to the job or should I play safe and use larger? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't doubt a company like Bosch but some reassurance or suggestions from anyone here would help ease my mind.

We've purchased a Bosch induction hob (Model Number PIE651BB1E/17) it comes with a 5 core flexible mains cable about 2 metres in length. I'm ok with the wiring aspect of the 5 core cable as the instructions are perfectly clear. Each cable appears to be 1.5mm sq (this is printed on the cable sheath - Deja HO5V2V2-F 5G 1.50mm TS EN 50525-2-11). The wiring is basically 2 live (brown and black) and 2 negatives (blue and grey) plus an earth.
The hob is rated at 7400 watts and a 32amp MCB recommended.

Last year an electrician changed our consumer unit and installed a separate 32 amp circuit for the previous oldIs my Bosch mains cable up to the job or should I play safe and use larger? IMG_20200923_222454467-01 - EletriciansForums.net ceramic hob. That work is all signed off and certificated.

My concern is that the cables for the new replacement hob appear to be only 1.5mm sq and even though there are 2 of each, is 3mm sq cable up to carrying 32 amps?

I'd welcome any reassurances, or even suggestions that maybe upgrading to a 5 core 2.5mm sq cable might be better or am I just being daft?

TL;DR
Bosch induction hob (7400 watts). Five core (1.5mm) cable supplied by Bosch. Is that up to the job or should I look to find 5 core 2.5mm cable?
If the flex was factory fitted and the installation instructions explain how to fit it, then follow them and it is likely to be compliant.

However, some of these hobs are designed to run at 400v across 2 phases. Ensure that you have the right model and check again just to be sure.

If the flex was factory fitted and the installation instructions explain how to fit it, then follow them and it is likely to be compliant.

However, some of these hobs are designed to run at 400v across 2 phases. Ensure that you have the right model and check again just to be sure.

Thank you James.
The cable wasn't factory fitted, it came with the appliance all sealed up together from a major UK retailer (AO.com). These 2 pics are from the connection instructions and I'm working on an "assumption" that diagrams "1N" apply.
Interesting enough, 2 other Bosch appliances, an oven and built in microwave, came with standard 2 core and earth cables, factory fitted.
Is my Bosch mains cable up to the job or should I play safe and use larger? IMG_20200924_081628430-01 - EletriciansForums.netIs my Bosch mains cable up to the job or should I play safe and use larger? IMG_20200924_081822546-01 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Is my Bosch mains cable up to the job or should I play safe and use larger? IMG_20200924_081822546-01 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200924_081822546-01.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1

Reply to Is my Bosch mains cable up to the job or should I play safe and use larger? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock