Discuss Job/time tracking software? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an electrical contractor that uses sub contract electricians for the larger jobs I win. The sub contractors give me a written timesheet with their invoice, the times are added up, and I issue an invoice to the client or main contractor, and then their timesheets are filed.

Does anybody use software to monitor their projects/jobs so that labour for any period, and for any project/job can be called up at any time?

I realise it would mean entering the sub contract timesheets into a program once they have been issued to me, but this wouldn't be a problem. As I sometimes don't invoice clients for months on end, this can mean sifting through many different timesheets for many different people to find times (sometimes odd days) so my invoice to the client can be accurate.

I have spent quite a while online looking for a solution, but many sites offer web based timesheets so that people can enter their times remotely. I would like to keep the paper timesheets that are issued to me in place, but run software along side them that means I can see who has worked where and for how long at any time.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to hearing any suggestions,

B.

I don't think it'd be very practical for yourself plus it'd be time consumning.
Excel Spreadsheet? (Suppose it depends how many guys you got)

If you think that's a ---- idea I'll have a word with the brother-in-law at the weekend, see if he has any ideas.

Hi Bronson,
defo some kind of software out there ...........have seen it used,again i think it is very time consuming.

Hi, thanks for replies so far...

I don't use enough sub contractors for it to be too time consuming, and having the ability to be able to invoice a client for labour at a click of a button, months after people have been to site, defiantly outweighs the time spent once a week entering their times into software.

(Wow, just read that back and that is one looong sentence :))

It's a data base you need not a spread sheet. If you have word installed on your pc its built in. Microsft Access, loads of options, the one that may suit is 'Inventry Control', 'Resource Scheduling' or and 'Time and Billing'.
Walk through wizard to help

I agree with Wattsup....I use Excel myself, but I don't as much as you want it to. MS Access would probably be the answer. Its fairly straight forward to create a database and if you can't do it yourself it would be much cheaper to pay a local computer geek to create a personalised dtatbase than to shell out hundreds, if not thousands for a software licence that may not be exactly what you want.

It's a data base you need not a spread sheet. If you have word installed on your pc its built in. Microsft Access, loads of options, the one that may suit is 'Inventry Control', 'Resource Scheduling' or and 'Time and Billing'.
Walk through wizard to help

Many thanks Wattsup,

Although I do have MS Word on my computer, strangely enough I don't have MS Access. Reading the box though, MS Access is in the package (old 2003 version), so I must have declined to install it. I'll install and have a play...

Have you (or anybody else) used MS Access before? Is it something that's fairly easy to configure do you know?

Again, thanks for the feedback,

B.

If you are new to pc's it can be a pain, if you are fairly clued up, a couple of hours playing you will soon get the idea.
If you have no clue, get someone in to set it up for you, probably only cost about £15 an hour + exes and min call out of course.
Where do you live -;)

If you have no clue, get someone in to set it up for you, probably only cost about £15 an hour + exes and min call out of course.
Where do you live -;)
Hi Wattsup,

I'll try installing MS Access and see if I can tinker with the time and billing template as you have suggested. I'm fairly computer savvy, but I'll let you know if there are problems ;)

Thanks again,

B.

Time tracking software is very good. Using software time can be tracked accurately. Time can't be changed without the permission of admin of the software.

Many thanks Wattsup,

Although I do have MS Word on my computer, strangely enough I don't have MS Access. Reading the box though, MS Access is in the package (old 2003 version), so I must have declined to install it. I'll install and have a play...

Have you (or anybody else) used MS Access before? Is it something that's fairly easy to configure do you know?

Again, thanks for the feedback,

B.

Onions1066 might be able to give u sum advice hes lovely n in ur area n my old ground. If he makes u cry send him rnd to me n il chop him up :)

I am realky sorry bronson tbis was for another bloody thread this tapatalk is annoying me now sorry!!!!

Reply to Job/time tracking software? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock