Discuss Kitchen Sockets. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well in that case you can put the sockets and switches at whatever height you so wish unless it is specified to comply with DDA requirements.

urrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhh I give up on threads like this... If your going to ask our opinion at least be honest as to why you need it.

why would i lie mate ? This is going to get signed off. i am not that stupid !!!!!! eletrician has agreed that i chase the holes and feed wire through. he will come and fit new CU and put sockets on !!!!!!

If you look back through your posts on this thread it just jumps from 1 thing to another and lends itself to give the impression that all is not what it seems, that's all. If I am wrong then so be it. I do think this electrician needs to be advising you and supervising you a little more closely but hey ho.

My apologies if I have offended you but have a read of the thread and see if you can empathise with my view.

Yes it does seem like I don’t have a clue ! or maybe I have picked a right nutter to do the final job!. He does not seem to be advising much, I think he would rather the whole job and not me doing the chasing etc.

, I think he would rather the whole job and not me doing the chasing etc.

If it were me that would be my view too. Customers doing some of the work/providing their own materials etc is very rarely a recipe for saving money. You probably aren't paying him any consultancy fees for asking him for advice, so every time you call him up its costing HIM money..

He's probably got the view,
"Well, if he thinks he knows enough to do it himself then he can just get on with it".

Yes it does seem like I don’t have a clue ! or maybe I have picked a right nutter to do the final job!. He does not seem to be advising much, I think he would rather the whole job and not me doing the chasing etc.

To be honest I would be happy for a client to do all the donkey work (chasing/holes in joists etc) but that is where it would end and there would be strict instruction on exactly where and what to do.

I hope for your sake he's not misinformed you which could lead to a structural issue.

What area are you in? It sounds like you could do with input from one of our ever helping members. I can't help but think one way or another this may end up in tears.... at the least :(

:thumbsup

to be honest, i think you are right. i have dug my self a hole, i just trying to get out of it now!!!

to be honest, i think you are right. i have dug my self a hole, i just trying to get out of it now!!!

Post your area and I'm sure a member will help. It sounds like you are working beyond your limitations at the moment and the spark isn't interested. If you don't nip it in the bud now you risk not getting the work signed off and as the electrician has not done any work in the property I personally don't think you'll have a leg to stand on.

Ted, once again I apologise if I'm wrong or have offended you with my last post. It was not my intention.
Lately there has been a massive spate of what I call the dog ate my homework type question. The ones which invariably have the line the job is being supervised by a qualified electrician in them but the range of the questions leads most of us to think that a spark is not involved and that the poster is out of his depth but unaware of it and trying to pick our brains. Perhaps I have wrongly put you in the same pigeonhole as those.
Best advice would be to ring this guy up as presumably you are still paying him a sizeable fee for supervising your contribution to the installation. I know this because my fee would still be a fair old whack because I would be on the end of a phone for you at all times and visiting the job to see what was done and how on a daily basis until it was time for second fix.
Make him earn that fee because for all we know you could have chased out too much brickwork and inadvertantely caused a structural issue, or not chased deep enough which will mean he has to do some work which is not in the budget but which will be charged for

how much is notifcation fee too Labc. thought it would be easier to go with a part P ?

Hum, if you have an electrician working with you, you wouldn't be asking this.

Part P is the design, installation and self certification of your OWN work. Part P registered sparkies are not allowed to sign off other peoples work.

Notification to LABC should be BEFORE you start with regular inspections throughout the works.

Put the sockets where you want mate there are no rules unless its new build/major renovation. I normally go about 1100 from floor for a worktop socket. The socket for the fridge/washer...I'd stick it in a nearby cupboard myself if poss then no chasing and no isolator.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
All this part P enforcement makes me sleepy

In answer to your original question, 42 inches to the bottom of the box (from ffl) has always worked out perfectly for me. If you've got alot to do, I highly reccommend you get a cheap laser level.

Also, ask your electrician to give you a proper spacer bar for the boxes, and if he doesn't know what that is, get a new electrician!

how much is notifcation fee too Labc. thought it would be easier to go with a part P ?
well....the more i read this...the more i think you have just dropped in here to get all the info you need to install this yourself...as that is what i think you are doing....if this is the case then i would respectfuly suggest that you
1) buy all the relevent books (BS7671, OSG) etc
2)Either notify the LABC of works (as its notifyable work is this as has already been pointed out)...or pay your fees to a scheme....as most in here have had to do..
3) You will also need the inspection knowledge and the test equipment to verefy the installation as completed is safe to energise....

the point i am making here is that most forum members have been through college and have invested both time and effort (not to mention large amounts of money) in getting to a stage where they can offer their services for a living.....

It looks like the electrician is getting the OP to do all the dirty jobs and then come back to second fix.
Fair enough, as long as he can see all the cable runs before they're covered up and he's satisfied they're ok.
Maybe the OP wants to do the job on the cheap and this is one way of cutting costs.
However the OP's electrician certainly seems very slack, I would have thought he would have at least marked out all the positions beforehand.

Reply to Kitchen Sockets. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock