Discuss Liability period in new builds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Some clever Sparks will be able to tell me from experience, how long after the original install in a new build (NHBC) should I still be liable to replace any items (led light fittings, extractor fans, etc) without charging for replacements ?

I would have thought that 12 months would be a minimum requirement.

I would have said 12 months, unless the issue could be classed as a patent or latent defect. Failures with the defect period (normally 12 months) is one of the reasons why Main Contractors hold 2.5% payment back. Unless there's anything different in the contract/T&C's IMO 12 months would be the norm

It seems NHBC say 24 months from exchange of contracts but if that exchange for example is 12 months after I've notified building control, that would be 3 years down the line ! Not many manufacturers give more than 12 months guarantee on mechanical/electrical items.
Better ask scheme provider how long they would cover things in this situation !

It seems NHBC say 24 months from exchange of contracts but if that exchange for example is 12 months after I've notified building control, that would be 3 years down the line ! Not many manufacturers give more than 12 months guarantee on mechanical/electrical items.
Better ask scheme provider how long they would cover things in this situation !

Is this because of an ongoing dispute or claim?
or are you just being cautious before taking a job on?

my standard terms are 12 months from date of invoice.
however if someone wanted to have a 3 year extended warranty I would probably do so for an extra 10% of the job cost.

Is this because of an ongoing dispute or claim?
or are you just being cautious before taking a job on?

my standard terms are 12 months from date of invoice.
however if someone wanted to have a 3 year extended warranty I would probably do so for an extra 10% of the job cost.
That's one way to do it. :)

From what I remember the 24 months is only relevant to the “builder / main contractor” who I thought had to be a signed up member of the scheme, it doesn’t apply to anyone who is a subcontractor to that builder unless there is some kind of flow down in a contract.

For property refurbs, office fit outs etc I am usually on the hook for 12 months, although customers have agreed to as little as 3 months when we haven’t done anything massively structural.

I guess it all comes down to what is in your contract as others have said.

Paul

From what I remember the 24 months is only relevant to the “builder / main contractor” who I thought had to be a signed up member of the scheme, it doesn’t apply to anyone who is a subcontractor to that builder unless there is some kind of flow down in a contract.

For property refurbs, office fit outs etc I am usually on the hook for 12 months, although customers have agreed to as little as 3 months when we haven’t done anything massively structural.

I guess it all comes down to what is in your contract as others have said.

Paul
Some good points made, thanks everybody for your input. The 12 month retention should have given me a pointer I guess but you have to give a bit to keep people “sweet” ! However a line has to be drawn somewhere ?

NHBC only cover the fabric after the first 24 months, they mediate between Customer and Builder for the first 24.
The builder covers the first 24months for fabric and whatever they have decided for fittings and fixtures.

As has been said it then depends on the arrangement between builder and subby.
I would say in the absence of a specific 24month agreement between Builder and Subs, it would only be 12months for a normal failure.

Check the builders small print before you sign:oops:

Reply to Liability period in new builds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock