Discuss Looking for options for low profile surface mounted lights for a solid soffet over garage in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Currently struggling a bit to find suitable lights to fit above a garage door on the soffit. The soffit has a solid joist/beam directly above it so recessed lighting isn't an option, but the customer doesn't want anything too high profile - just wants ambient lighting for the front of the garage to provide a bit of a glow really. (Will probably dusk to dawn the install)

What I thought might work is the under cabinet lights that can often be surface mounted, but I'm struggling to find anything that's IP rated suitably, in white, and not too expensive...

Most surface downlights seem to be 230V and have a long barrel to allow for driver etc. In this case I can run in through the front facia to put transformer and control inside, which will make wiring less obtrusive.

LED tape is another option I guess, but I've had no experience of neatly terminating it outside

Anyone done something similar or can think of other suitable options?

You get sorted?
Waiting for client (or more importantly his wife) to decide.

I'd not found those ones you'd linked so I'll give him the option, but I think price might put him off. I'm starting to think LED tape might be the way forward.

What I was hoping to use originally was something like these:

40893.jpg

that I've used under kitchen cabinets - 24V transformer - but only rated IP20, even though they are sealed units so could probably cope as well as a lot of the IP44 stuff I've seen sold...

Soffits don't generally get hit with too much of what the weather can throw at us, but always better to err on the side of caution.

I had to re-read your OP a few times as initially I thought you were restricted by depth as opposed to being unable to recess to any depth. I only ran a few quick searches, but certainly wasn't overwhelmed by the choice of low profile surface mounted lights, with suitable IP rating. Plenty of big lights that fit the bill, but far fewer of small diameter.

Soffits don't generally get hit with too much of what the weather can throw at us, but always better to err on the side of caution.

I had to re-read your OP a few times as initially I thought you were restricted by depth as opposed to being unable to recess to any depth. I only ran a few quick searches, but certainly wasn't overwhelmed by the choice of low profile surface mounted lights, with suitable IP rating. Plenty of big lights that fit the bill, but far fewer of small diameter.
Yep - the thick wooden beam above the soffit is the bugger. I might just be able to squeeze a couple of LED oval bulkheads in I guess, just about enough width for them.

There are a few around like this

7176.1499279315.jpg

But they all seem pretty expensive and unnecessary duplication of drivers, plus may be a bugger to get side entry to.

Definitely some LED tape. IP65 or IP67 or something like that.

Fit inside some aluminium extrusion With diffuser for the best job
Looks like the client has gone for the LED tape option, which is fine by me.

Not fitted it externally before though - Any ideas on what sort of brightness levels are suitable for a single garage width (3m say) to get a dusk to dawn glow and light the small drive without blinding anyone or looking like a disco?

The standards seem be 7.2W/m or 14.4W/m, though I'll be putting in the frosted extrusion with diffuser which I presumably cuts down the lumens somewhat.

Could put a dimmer in of course, but just one more failure point...

Reply to Looking for options for low profile surface mounted lights for a solid soffet over garage in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net