Currently reading:
maxium lengh of meter tails ??

Discuss maxium lengh of meter tails ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Generally DNO specifies that distance from meter to Consumer unit should be no more than 3 meters.

If you want to run further then you need a Switched Fused, from there you could run in any suitable cable. I've seen a run of over 30meters in tails protected by a 63A MCB/RCD - OK as long as the tails have 2 layers (like T&E) of protection - insulation & outer sheath.

As yellowvanman says it is dependant on the DNO, and the rule of thumb is 3-5 metres. It will though be dependant on the Ze of the external system as that will govern the PFC of the DNO protection device.

The DNO will not guarantee anything really over 5 metres, so you can go for err on the side of caution and us the 3metres rule. or take the Ze and contact the DNO engineering department and ask for guidance.

thanks for the replys lads looks like i owe someone a bacon on toast in the morning lol

also why have i seen tails 25mm running from outside meter box (white one on side of house ) running into the cavity across the loft down into the airing cubord (bungalow) about 15 meters in all ?

seen this on a few council houses ive worked on in past 6-7 months

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the replys lads looks like i owe someone a bacon on toast in the morning lol

also why have i seen tails 25mm running from outside meter box (white one on side of house ) running into the cavity across the loft down into the airing cubord (bungalow) about 15 meters in all ?

seen this on a few council houses ive worked on in past 6-7 months

Perhaps they had the DNO permission to do this. As I said it is their rules on length of tails as it is there protection device that cover PFC.

Reply to maxium lengh of meter tails ?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock