Discuss Method to install 19.6KW oven in single phase property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As the title says, a customer has bought a 19.6 Kw 3 oven/6 induction hob burner that they have kindly asked me to install for them into their 3 bedroom semi!

I'm a bit stuck as to go about this as the amps it pulls is over 80, I know there will be some diversity etc but has anyone any suggestions as to how to go about this?

Cheers

Make and model of unit?

We have a Rangemaster with a "17.6kw" load - running on 10mm, but the manufacturers state minimum 6mm

There is no way on earth any domestic oven would pull anything over 32A IMHO

Make and model of unit?

We have a Rangemaster with a "17.6kw" load - running on 10mm, but the manufacturers state minimum 6mm

There is no way on earth any domestic oven would pull anything over 32A IMHO
and even if it did for short periods, the 32A MCB will handle 48A for an hour +.

It all sounds a bit 'stick a 50amp breaker in and hope it doesn't trip out on crimbo day'! My first thought was to do this but was just wondering if there were any other ideas about how to do it..all the specs and calcs tell you it should pull over 50 amps.

standard cooker diversity calc. gives 32A ( without a socket on the cooker switch. so a 40A breaker feeding either a 10mm or 6mm ( depending on installation method ) would be compliant.

what do manufacturers instructions stipulate?

It all sounds a bit 'stick a 50amp breaker in and hope it doesn't trip out on crimbo day'! My first thought was to do this but was just wondering if there were any other ideas about how to do it..all the specs and calcs tell you it should pull over 50 amps.

no way.................. most houses don't pull over 30A

ours sits at around 4A until 'er indoors powers up the hot tub and/or sauna. then it spins up a bit.

The manufacturers instructions state

"Supply can vary depending on usage, please consult a qualified electrician for ampere requirement"

If you seek guidance on diversity then the guidance gives you the 1st 10A and 30% of the remainder which is 32A.

32A is bang on the limit of diversity and the induction hob has Boost functions so it would be prudent to give yourself a bit of wiggle room. If it was me I would be installing a 50A OCPD and suitably sized cable based on the design current of 50A.

ours sits at around 4A until 'er indoors powers up the hot tub and/or sauna. then it spins up a bit.
Livin' the dream there Tel! and all with an ale in yer mitt! Oh the other half, how they do live! (Though it seems like the little lady is relaxing and you're running around with a clamp meter in your hand, sounds like my house!)

To the OP, have they a feed to cooker point already or are you installing from scratch? What is there already? You haven't stated.

Depends who's using it as well?
Could be someone running a catering business from home or could be someone cooking for two every night but wants the bragging rights of a massive range!
They will have completely different load profiles.

Livin' the dream there Tel! and all with an ale in yer mitt! Oh the other half, how they do live! (Though it seems like the little lady is relaxing and you're running around with a clamp meter in your hand, sounds like my house!)

To the OP, have they a feed to cooker point already or are you installing from scratch? What is there already? You haven't stated.
I didn't state, as what's there already is irrelevant to the question I was asking.

next it will come round to the "where the f*ck are we" tribe.

Reply to Method to install 19.6KW oven in single phase property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock