Discuss Minimum socket heights - first floor! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ash2020

Another minimum socket height question!

Material change of use - New flat in an old warehouse so I guess you could call it new build.

There's no way you'd get a wheelchair or anybody of limited mobility up to the first and second floors, so do the sockets still have to be min 450 and the switches max 1200? If so, the regs. are stupid!
Cheers
Andy

If its not a new build....what ever the old height is they can be the same height

Surely if it is a material change of use, i.e. a dwelling where there wasn't one before it would have to meet the same requirements as a new build.
Andy.

I would say a change of use is new and consequently a new build for that property what happens if after you have been a lift or stair lift is installed.

Chris

My reading is new heights, that's what I've done, but I do think it's ridiculous in a 1st floor flat where you could never install a lift or a stair lift because of the old building.

I personally think that, say if 18% of the population are disabled, then 18% of new properties should cater, not 100%. If you can't manage the heights of the sockets in a house, then don't buy it or rent it!

Too harsh?

Thanks all for the input.
Andy.

I might be wrong but doesnt the new heights things only apply to general purposes sockets in a room likely to be used by guests? DEdicated sockets, and those in rooms unlikely to be used by a guest are not (if I'm right) included..... I think therefore its possible to have sockets and 300mm as long as they are dedicated use or in a room unlikely to be used by a guest. How else would sockets for TV's (behind the planned TV which i have seen loads of and hate) floor sockets in offices (again seen loads) and others be within regs. The regs are interpreted and as long as there is a good reason you should be fine (inspectors may not see it that way tho.......)

I might be wrong but doesnt the new heights things only apply to general purposes sockets in a room likely to be used by guests? DEdicated sockets, and those in rooms unlikely to be used by a guest are not (if I'm right) included..... I think therefore its possible to have sockets and 300mm as long as they are dedicated use or in a room unlikely to be used by a guest. How else would sockets for TV's (behind the planned TV which i have seen loads of and hate) floor sockets in offices (again seen loads) and others be within regs. The regs are interpreted and as long as there is a good reason you should be fine (inspectors may not see it that way tho.......)

Who told you that??

At the end of the day, if its an existing building , then the switches and sockets etc can be the same height as they were before, as long as they are no worse eg sockets 300mm from FFL and then rewired with them installed into the skirting instead.

If its a new build, then everything must comply with Part L, M and all the others that are related to our trade.

Industrial and commercial however, is a slightly different ball game.

I have researched this one, ( have a thread on the forum about it,) If its existing old build being rewired you can keep the original socket heights provided they are not so low as to cause mechanical stress to flexes cables or plug tops. If an existing building has had major modification to the internal structure ie new walls built ect,then building control deem it new build and current regs come into force.

As an example if sockets in an existing build were at a height of 200mm and you wanted to move them to say 350mm thats ok because its an improvement on the original install.but if you wanted to move them down to say 150mm thats a no no,

Having done rewires on new build flats I can definately confirm that current regs have to be implemented, As Jason said commercial work is a different ball game.

bald he could have a socket under his bath as long as access to it was with Key or tool as it would be then out of zone. It would have to be RCD protected though and i have no idea why he would want on there.

bald he could have a socket under his bath as long as access to it was with Key or tool as it would be then out of zone. It would have to be RCD protected though and i have no idea why he would want on there.

True enough, but like you said why? possibly a shower pump, or hot tub supply, I would look for better locations if possible.
Anyway, we are going off subject slapped wrists:)

Who told you that??

The Regs book.....There are huge flaws in the actual regulations and the interpritation of them its a brave man who doesn't go sheep like and follow the crowd, A lecturer of mine once proved that having "live" connection fused plugs as we do in the UK is potentially more dangerous than the unfused Euro plug 2 pin plug..... Yet we still ahve 3 pin fused live plugs!

The Regs book.....There are huge flaws in the actual regulations and the interpritation of them its a brave man who doesn't go sheep like and follow the crowd, A lecturer of mine once proved that having "live" connection fused plugs as we do in the UK is potentially more dangerous than the unfused Euro plug 2 pin plug..... Yet we still ahve 3 pin fused live plugs!
I agree with you mate.A lot of the countries in europe use the 2 pin plug and the IT earthing system,why can't they use it here.Too health and safety conscience,and it's and easy way to print money with all the update courses:confused:Sorry should have read the beginning of the thread,it seems to be straying a bit of the main track

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Minimum socket heights - first floor! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock