Discuss Moving Light Switch/ Adding Spots in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Superbob

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, DIYer here.

I am moving a light switch and adding spots to my lounge.

In order to move the switch I firstly identified the constant Live going into my exiting switch, spliced this with Wago’s onto a new cable and down into my new switch. Using the 2 plate method I then ran a switch cable to my first spot from the new switch, connected the two neutrals at the switch with Wago’s, the constant live to COM and my switched live to L1. Flicked the switch and no light, my pen tells me there is electricity up to the light however, tried a few bulbs and checked all my neutrals are connected which they are.

Any ideas?

Should note that the constant live cable that i spliced onto, the neutral was not connected to the old switch or the switch wire at the switch. It was capped with a push fitting on its own/ as was the switch wire. (See attached pic)

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• F9C41CC8-060E-4BA3-8744-AE0AEAC2A73E.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for the reply! About a year ago the lounge was a through lounge with wall lights hence the 3 gang switch. I split the through lounge back into two rooms and had an electrician put a new switch/ pendant in the 1st half. Could this be why there are two (blanked off) neutrals in the switch still? In that case do you reckon I’ve spliced into the wrong cable? Doesn’t make sense why it would be constantly live though…

In order to move the switch I firstly identified the constant Live going into my exiting switch,
So how did you identify the constant live
Using the 2 plate method I then ran a switch cable to my first spot from the new switch
I've never heard of the 2 plate method so I assume you mean you looped the cable between the fittings
connected the two neutrals at the switch with Wago’s
How did you identify the neutral
Any ideas?
Yes the usual one in these cases
Should note that the constant live cable that i spliced onto, the neutral was not connected to the old switch or the switch wire at the switch. It was capped with a push fitting on its own/ as was the switch wire. (See attached pic)
Have you tested this constant live with an approved voltage indicator
Thanks for the reply! About a year ago the lounge was a through lounge with wall lights hence the 3 gang switch. I split the through lounge back into two rooms and had an electrician put a new switch/ pendant in the 1st half.

Could this be why there are two (blanked off) neutrals in the switch still?
How have you tested these "neutrals" or are you making an assumption they are a neutral because they are black
In that case do you reckon I’ve spliced into the wrong cable? Doesn’t make sense why it would be constantly live though…
As the lights don't work it is a fair assumption, re the constant live see above

So how did you identify the constant live

Turned the light off, using my test pen one wire indicated Live and the other didn’t.

I've never heard of the 2 plate method so I assume you mean you looped the cable between the fittings

Brought the (constant live or so I thought) into the switch and connected the switch wire at the switch.

Regarding testing the neutrals, yes I just assumed they were neutral due to them being black. Plus I assumed the cable that tested constant live was my live feed. :-(

Two plate is a moniker given to a method for connecting a lighting circuit.
It may be possible to change the function of the blacks but you are going to need an electrician it isn't something we can guide you through.

Two plate is a moniker given to a method for connecting a lighting circuit.
It may be possible to change the function of the blacks but you are going to need an electrician it isn't something we can guide you through.
Ok no worries, reason Iam even attempting myself is because I needed to be ready for a plasterer by the weekend. May have to put him off!

I still don’t understand why there are effectively two switch wires in the old switch though, and why one of those would be constantly live with the switch in the off position?

I assume there would be a junction box somewhere then with the actual feed going in?

You have a permanent live which is then linked across the three switches, the other red and two blacks are outgoing to three lighting points.

Ok, understand that. Am I right in thinking then, if I trace that permanent live back I should get to a junction box with the feed?

The existing pendant has only 1 cable dropping down with Earth, neutral and Earth as they should be.

Ok, understand that. Am I right in thinking then, if I trace that permanent live back I should get to a junction box with the feed?

The existing pendant has only 1 cable dropping down with Earth, neutral and Earth as they should be.
Where did you get the term 2 plate method ?

If 2 plate, then you would have a live and neutral at the switch.

Reply to Moving Light Switch/ Adding Spots in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net