Currently reading:
Multi-Function Testers

Discuss Multi-Function Testers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OtleySpark

I'm just starting a Domestic Electricians course and would like to get hold of a MFT to get familiar with so I can make the most of the workshops.
I've looked at the Fluke 1652c or the Megger 1720.

My tutor said the MFT would need to do at least the following tests:
Continuity
Insulation
Earth Loop Impedance
PFC
RDC

The Fluke's cheaper but in my ignorance i'm not sure if it does the Earth Loop Impedance testing that my tutor said to look for. I can't see the phrase 'Earth Loop Impedance' on the spec for either - does this mean its sometimes called something else?

Hi OtleySpark,

Welcome to the best electricians forum on the web!

Both testers will perform the earth loop impedance test. It is commonly referred to as an EFLI test (Earth Fault Loop Impedance Test), or simply a Loop Test on manufacturer's datasheets and websites.

If you are serious in wanting to purchase a tester, we can offer a 5% discount as a forum sponsor. Should you want to have a chat on the phone about products, we are happy to help on 01132 48 99 66.

Good luck with your course!

test-meter

Hi OtleySpark,

Welcome to the best electricians forum on the web!

Both testers will perform the earth loop impedance test. It is commonly referred to as an EFLI test (Earth Fault Loop Impedance Test), or simply a Loop Test on manufacturer's datasheets and websites.

If you are serious in wanting to purchase a tester, we can offer a 5% discount as a forum sponsor. Should you want to have a chat on the phone about products, we are happy to help on 01132 48 99 66.

Good luck with your course!

test-meter

Thanks for the replies. From your phone number I see we are practically neighbours. I'll call into your showroom for a chat - probably today.

Rob.

[FONT=&quot]Went to the Test-Meter showroom today. Was given lots of time, useful advice, had my many questions answered, shown lots of alternative pieces of equipment and ended up with good deal.
Thanks very much Test-Meter and Lasse[/FONT]
in particular.

I'm a Fluke man myself, it's top notch kit. I have a Fluke 1654b, I think the reason i got that was because I got a free Fluke C550 bag and free Fluke T5-1000 voltage tester with it all for £685 + VAT which I thought was rather good!

Ive got a Meggar MFT1502 in perfect nick for sale, it is advertised elsewhere though not here, you could PM me if your interested, however will need proof your really at college, I won't sell it to jack the lad.

I would recommend either a Fluke 1651B or a Megger 1710 for a new starter both will carry out all the required test with no fancy features.
Would avoid the Kewtech KT61 as I have experience with this meter and it had lots of issues

Reply to Multi-Function Testers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back