Discuss multiple circuits stopped getting power same time, replaced all, still no power?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
video explaining/showing problem
View: https://youtu.be/VjtsPzzZYrQ

this is a eaton cutler hammer circuit breaker. The house was built in 1969 but the breaker was upgraded to this eaton 9 years ago when i bought it.

House uses mostly older outlets that are 2 prong, not 3 prong. HOuse does not have an attic, more like a crawl space.

There are some squirrels nesting up there.

Lost power in several parts of the house last night. Washer dryer was on, lights flickered once, then lost power. Checked and replaced 4 circuits which did not solve the problem.

With main power on, i checked voltage and can see that no power is getting to 4 of the circuits.....all of those i had just replaced.

that is where the problem is.

The house only has 1 GFCI outlet that I put into a bathroom 5 years ago. It has nothing plugged into it... does not click when i try to reset it but........tell me if i'm correct.........it would not click if there is no power to that area.....which is the case, as there's no power to that circuit.

washer dryer does not seem to have a gfci switch.

what could be causing multiple circuits to have no power? What possible problems could that be and how should i start to troubleshoot and fix it?

thanks for any help

Last edited:
video explaining/showing problem
View: https://youtu.be/VjtsPzzZYrQ

this is a eaton cutler hammer circuit breaker. The house was built in 1969 but the breaker was upgraded to this eaton 9 years ago when i bought it.

House uses mostly older outlets that are 2 prong, not 3 prong. HOuse does not have an attic, more like a crawl space.

There are some squirrels nesting up there.

Lost power in several parts of the house last night. Washer dryer was on, lights flickered once, then lost power. Checked and replaced 4 circuits which did not solve the problem.

With main power on, i checked voltage and can see that no power is getting to 4 of the circuits.....all of those i had just replaced.

that is where the problem is.

The house only has 1 GFCI outlet that I put into a bathroom 5 years ago. It has nothing plugged into it... does not click when i try to reset it but........tell me if i'm correct.........it would not click if there is no power to that area.....which is the case, as there's no power to that circuit.

washer dryer does not seem to have a gfci switch.

what could be causing multiple circuits to have no power? What possible problems could that be and how should i start to troubleshoot and fix it?

thanks for any help
Turmelec welcome to the forum and I would think that you answered your own question when you said you had squirrels nesting in your attic. They are notorious for eating the insulation of wiring. My advice is to get rid of them and put wire mesh where their getting in your attic. Good luck

Lost N somewhere
I’m sorry I didn’t look at the video until now. If you are not getting power to the actual breakers it sounds to me like you might have burnt places on the main buss. Take them 4 breakers out and shine your flashlight to where the breakers plug into the buss. Are them the four breakers you replaced. Try swapping one of the blue taped breakers with a known breaker that is working and see if that breaker gets power. Possibly some bad stabs or the breakers aren’t the right one for your panel. When you open your cover of your panel and look at the sticker and it gives you recommendations for the type of replacement breakers

Hi,did you say you lost power on the four circuits,just replaced?
I would start at the beginning,and work towards those circuits.

Hi,did you say you lost power on the four circuits,just replaced?
I would start at the beginning,and work towards those circuits.
PEG the problem has to be in the panel where the breakers are plugged into the buss, no power from there which is the source

I think you may have lost an incoming phase. The American system is a delta connected transformer giving 120v between phases L1 & L3 (but not L2!) and neutral and 240v between phases. See the comparison between our star connected system and their delta connected system in the attached.

I would check the incoming supply to the property, you may have blown a fuse in which case you will have to call your electricity supplier.

Attachments

• 815373F8-F7E9-4DAB-A209-03E782EC1E40.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 4
I think you may have lost an incoming phase. The American system is a delta connected transformer giving 120v between phases L1 & L3 (but not L2!) and neutral and 240v between phases. See the comparison between our star connected system and their delta connected system in the attached.

I would check the incoming supply to the property, you may have blown a fuse in which case you will have to call your electricity supplier.
Andy if he had lost a phase every other breaker would be dead and his 240vac loads would not work which the stove, heat, dryer, and hot water heater etc. I’ve run into that a few times

Reply to multiple circuits stopped getting power same time, replaced all, still no power?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net