Discuss NAPIT Initial Assessment Next Week, Advice Please in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first post as I'm new to the forum.

I have my initial NAPIT Assessment next week and could really do with advice on what you need to show them and questions to expect, as the checklist that was sent me was not that informative other than to show the documents Ive already got ready.

Ive not got my C&G 2391 as now is replaced by the 2394 and 2395 i believe, which i do intend to obtain as soon as possible, NAPIT are aware of this as told them on my application and over the phone to an adviser.

Im new to being self employed so have only a few jobs Ive carried out in my house such as a spur off downstairs ring circuit for a light fitting (fused down of course) and a spur off ring circuit upstairs for an outside light (fused down again of course)
Does these jobs count enough to be assessed on?

And what questions have been asked just so I am prepared rather than caught out, not for not knowing but I'm just terrible at being put on the spot as such, i can show you what I'm meaning but not the best at saying if that makes any sense.

Any advice would be fantastic

I would imagine that the jobs stated would only get you a limited pass as there is no. "Major job". Normally they want too see one minor job such as what you have said and one major job such as rewire, new DB, new circuit etc...

Good luck, it is not too taxing if you are competent.
Common questions are RCD maximum trip times on various tests, Ze limits for different earthing systems

remember that you can look up items if you do not know the answers by heart (have the books handily available).
Others are bathroom zones, and the different sections of the building regulations as they apply to electrical work.

He will also ask you to perform a few tests on the work you have done and compare them with the certificate you issued and may ask you to explain the results.

From the NAPIT website:

You should have available:

Records of all work undertaken and the corresponding certification, guarantee arrangements, relevant documents etc, that must be retained for a period of three years and be available for inspection at the NAPIT assessment visits.

The requirements for your work are:
Legal Requirements – Work must comply with the Building Regulations 2010 (as amended) and be notified as described below.
Insurance – You must have £2m public liability insurance.
Instruments – You must have access to sufficient instruments to carry out tests relevant to your scope of work and the calibration certificates.
Inspection – You must make available suitable installation work to demonstrate compliance and competence.
The inspection will look at the work itself and assess the competence of individuals carrying out the work, evidence of how you comply with other requirements (risk assessments, insurance evidence, quoting etc.) will also be assessed.
Notification – Self-certification must be carried out by notifying NAPIT within 21 days of completion of an installation, a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate will be issued to cover the work and the relevant Local Authority will be automatically updated. Where relevant the notification will trigger a Work Quality Guarantee.

Reply to NAPIT Initial Assessment Next Week, Advice Please in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net