Discuss Need electricians advice. Moving ceiling light without chasing ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Carla

-
Reaction score
hello

i moved in to my place 3 years ago and have been slowly redecorating one room at a time. Im finally on my last room, the living room but for some weird reason the ceiling light isnt in the middle of the room. its off to the side quite far.

The problem is, my ceilings are concrete so i dont want to chase them out, i also dont want to use trunking. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on possible resolutions?

Ive had a few but I don't know if its possible.

The first idea was to somehow have 3 lights coming from one ceiling rose, and then arrange them in a way where they are in a row, so it looks like 3 individual lights hanging from the ceiling, but i dont know if its possible and how that would be done/look

the other idea i had was to buy some kind of strip spotlight fitting that is long, so it can go across the ceiling to make it look like its centered. but i dont know if this is possible either, as i cant find one i like that has regular bulb fittings instead of spot lights and all the strip/spot light style lights iv looked at are all fitted from the centre, i would need one that could be wired at one end, and then stretch out across the ceiling to the middle of the room.

any ideas would be great.

thank you in advance

If the cables are in the concrete and possibly in metal conduit within.
I would fix some thin strips of timber and put plasterboard up and plaster it. You loose say an inch or two in ceiling height.
On the plus side you can have any lights you like from one through to downlights.
If not what about track lighting?
Can be wired from one end then adapted or cut to size, go off on angles etc and lights all adjustable, something like this as robus can be wired from the end.
https://www.lyco.co.uk/acorn-3-light-and-track-kit-white.html

I would steer away from a strip light,in a lounge...

It'll look like gang-master's lodgings,for his cockle-pickers...

I would fix some thin strips of timber and put plasterboard up and plaster it. You loose say an inch or two in ceiling height.
On the plus side you can have any lights you like from one through to downlights.
Can be wired from one end then adapted or cut to size, go off on angles etc and lights all adjustable, something like this as robus can be wired from the end.
Robus Acorn Track Light Kit - White - 3 Lights - Lyco - https://www.lyco.co.uk/acorn-3-light-and-track-kit-white.html
I’d avoid the 50w halogens though and replace with GU10 LEDs.

Not sure of your taste on decor/style..
The Industrial type look is in trend at the moment, so maybe have a run of galvanized conduit with a few pendant drops with metal lampshades
We have an old original sandstone pub up here done like that , in particular the fireplace wall , has a look of bronze hammerite , but is really authentic looking , as we say " looks like it growed there "

the decor colur is silver, grey, whites, with a lot of soft textures like shag rugs, velvet cushions in silver, etc. Just warm and modern looking. i do agree strip lights would be the best idea but i cant find any that look ''homey'', they look a bit too industrial. i just dont know what to do. iv seen some people use chains and then use a hook in the middle of the ceiling to centre it or they use curved trunking instead of regular squared trunking but i am not sure about that. maybe if i upload a photo of the ceiling and how the light is poisition it might help you guys get a better idea of how it looks?

Robus Acorn Track Light Kit - White - 3 Lights - Lyco - https://www.lyco.co.uk/acorn-3-light-and-track-kit-white.html

Not sure of your taste on decor/style..
The Industrial type look is in trend at the moment, so maybe have a run of galvanized conduit with a few pendant drops with metal lampshades

We have an old original sandstone pub up here done like that , in particular the fireplace wall , has a look of bronze hammerite , but is really authentic looking , as we say " looks like it growed there "

here is a photo of what the ceiling light looks like and the position of it. as you can see, it needs to be a lot further over to the right. Need electricians advice. Moving ceiling light without chasing ? thumbnail_Off Centre Ceiling Light  - EletriciansForums.net

How about a track light fitting? JCC do a nice range of lamps that fit in the track including pendant lights.

What a strange place - almost as if it was once in the centre of a room that then was unequally divided into 4 rooms!
I’d like to think that I was wrong because that would be just odd!
The above idea from Vortigern would allow a long track light fixture in that area left to right that you could fit all sorts of lampage ideas.
Happy hunting!
here is a photo of what the ceiling light looks like and the position of it. as you can see, it needs to be a lot further over to the right. View attachment 49175

batten the ceiling with a square 2 x 2 frame with intermediate studding. make the whole thing 1 ft. all round smaller than the room. extend cable from existing light to centre. square plasterboard false ceiling that overhangs the studding all round by 2". then fit remote control colour change striplighting above the board edges

How about a track light fitting? JCC do a nice range of lamps that fit in the track including pendant lights.

hello. would you be able to give me a link to the kind of thing you're describing please? i looked on the website you suggested and it seems they only have one kind of track lighting with spotlights on them in black. you suggested using a track and putting lights on them like i already have that i could put shades on but i cant see anything like that on there

thank you

batten the ceiling with a square 2 x 2 frame with intermediate studding. make the whole thing 1 ft. all round smaller than the room. extend cable from existing light to centre. square plasterboard false ceiling that overhangs the studding all round by 2". then fit remote control colour change striplighting above the board edges

hello. thanks for youre reply. i did want to ovoid big jobs like that. i was looking for a simple option

You have a long way to move over compared to the one in that link, it would not give the same effect and in my opinion you would quickly regret it.

You have a long way to move over compared to the one in that link, it would not give the same effect and in my opinion you would quickly regret it.
you are probably right. do you think i should leave it as it is and just put a spot light unit there? or do you think i should used curved trunking? or find some kind of track lighting?

out of the three options what would you go with?

I think for you to be happy with it you will be have to go with @telectrix suggestion . It will always be on your mind in my opinion.

Reply to Need electricians advice. Moving ceiling light without chasing ? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock