Discuss Need help setting up a wifi light switch in UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nafislord

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to install a wifi switch in my room but the problem is I am not very informed in electrical wiring subject so would appreciate it if someone could give me some insight regarding this.
Light Switch Cables Image
The in the inside it says TOP 7704
There is nothing saying which is which
The cables inside of the current box are red, black and green( the green is not connected to anything it goes to the wall i am assuming this is ground) but the other 2 i have no clue because different places say different one says red is live another say black is live its very confusing. Anyone i understand that 1 gang means a single switch i bought the following and couldn't get it to work
Sonoff T1 C1
I returned it since i couldn't make It work will buy another one after carefully reading all info
When i connected the sonoff the light flickered a bit i tried plugging in different ways without getting it to work. The blue light on the device turned on meaning it was getting electricity but the light wasn't turning on. Please can you tell me what the cables are and what switch type should i buy. Thanks in advance.
Kind regards
Nafis

Hi
The switch you bought needs a neutral connection to work. There is no neutral at your existing switching, so the Sonoff will not work. What you have at your existing switch is a live and a switched live return, no neutral.
I believe the Lightwave RF switches claim to work without a neutral connection.

Loz2754 is correct - the Lightwave Smart switches do not require a neutral wire, but if you want to use Alexa or Siri you will also need a Lightwave hub, so it becomes quite an investment.
if you search the internet for "wifi light switch no neutral" you will find a numerous options, but I remain suspicious of their approval status for the UK, and hence safety (ie CE mark = Chinese Export, not notified body approval).
Having said that, i have purchased and used a glass front type, and it worked fine.

These switches/dimmers can be fussy about which LED bulbs they work with. Suggest you try an incandescent bulb to check function..

Hi
The switch you bought needs a neutral connection to work. There is no neutral at your existing switching, so the Sonoff will not work. What you have at your existing switch is a live and a switched live return, no neutral.
I believe the Lightwave RF switches claim to work without a neutral connection.
Thank you so much i appreciate it very much.

Reply to Need help setting up a wifi light switch in UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net