Discuss New consumer unit on TT installation - earthing and SPD queries in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the consumer unit for a customer in rural Oxfordshire. The supply comes in overhead, drops down a telegraph-type pole into the ground, and runs about 2m to a recessed box in the wall (perhaps coming up in the cavity). I can't find the earth rod - probably entirely buried, but am getting Ze of 0.25 ohms, which is encouraging. Because it is hidden, I've put a new rod in, 2.4m deep. I tested it (GN3) and got results of about 95 ohms for the ground resistance, which is 60% of the maximum for a 300mA main switch RCD, and 20% for 100 mA. For discrimination, I'm keen to use the higher rate (delayed) RCD if it is reasonable to do so. The ground was damp ( it hadn't rained that day, but there had been a lot of weather about in the preceding days), and my question is; what order of variation can I expect between damp and dry soil, all other things being equal, and where can I find a quotable source for that information? If it is wildly variable, I may have to wait for a heatwave, so I can retest (which won't suit me or my customer). And question 2 (if I may); can anyone help with a source for information on the dissipation (via the short underground section) of a lightning strike to the incomer which can be expected given the description above. Or should I just include surge protection? Many thanks, Roy

At 2.4m deep I would not expect much of a change between winter and summer. You won’t get a much more stable Ze than that.

Can you confirm your testing method for your new rod? Was it Ra or Ze?

For an overhead supply I would install a combined Type 1/2 SPD at the mains.

Hi Roy - you lost me back there with Ze of 0.25 Ohms on a TT ... Sounds like TNCS?
It surprised me too - but there is no MET. A 10mm2 g/y comes in to the existing board through the masonry, but I can't see where from. My thinking is that I have to have a visible, testable earth to comply. I don't see any obstacle to leaving the existing one connected.

At 2.4m deep I would not expect much of a change between winter and summer. You won’t get a much more stable Ze than that.

Can you confirm your testing method for your new rod? Was it Ra or Ze?

For an overhead supply I would install a combined Type 1/2 SPD at the mains.
Thanks - Ra. Intuitively, I think 2m underground won't be enough to dissipate a lightning strike. I'd just be more comfortable if I can provide evidence to justify the spend. I expect there's a rule of thumb somewhere.

If you're installing a rod for an LP system then you need more than one. The combined resistances of all rods must be below 10 ohms.

As there is an increased likelihood of a lightning strike on the incoming overhead supply then more than likely your risk assessment will require you to install SPDs. This is to reduce the effects of transient over-voltages damaging the electrical installation.

The installation of SPDs are there to limit the effects of the above over-voltages, the rod you're installing is part of the electrical system and not part of a lightning protection system. Unless you're going to start using rolling spheres, fixing tape and finials?

As you're installing an electrode for a TT system then just try and get it as low as possible, if you need to install an extra rod then place it three times the depth of your first rod away to prevent the spheres of influence impacting on each other.

Do the regulations actually say that if you have a TT system then a SPD should be installed?
Obviously an overhead line is more at risk of a lightning strike but bs7671 Section 443 does not deal with direct strikes on buildings and structures.
Forget the risk assessment and the 4 indents of 443.4 I’m just curious about the TT part and in particular why would you install a type 1 if you do not have a LPS?
Asking for a friend ;)

It surprised me too - but there is no MET. A 10mm2 g/y comes in to the existing board through the masonry, but I can't see where from. My thinking is that I have to have a visible, testable earth to comply. I don't see any obstacle to leaving the existing one connected.
I misled you - apologies all round. On checking my notes; the existing Ze is 24.7 Ohms, which is more normal for TT. I must stop relying on faculties which have diminished over time!
Embarrassed of London

I believe we should consider a big difference between a lightning strike and over voltage, since they are not the same. An SPD is for over voltage and will not protect against a direct strike or one very close by. I recently attended a course for SPD’s and have an interest on TT (there are many locally). The recommendation was a type 1 for incoming overhead lines. I’ll dig out the detail and put it here.

Why only one rod? Personally I aim to get at least two 2.4m rods in suitably spaced for a TT system.

Really? I'm interested in your thinking? Do you fit the second rod because the first reading was too high or just your standard practice. I had considered doing this but depending on the Ze measurement alone. I'm going back to a couple of properties in the summer to test again - my measurements where sub 40 ohms recently.

Really? I'm interested in your thinking?
Do you fit the second rod because the first readingwas too high or just yourstandard practice.

The general idea is to get the Ra as low as possible. As you increase depth the reduction in Ra is not linear, so 2x 2.4m rods will give a lower Ra than 1x 4.8m rod.
It has become my standard practice, the first reading is always too high in my opinion because I know it can be improved by adding a second rod.

Reply to New consumer unit on TT installation - earthing and SPD queries in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock