Discuss New consumer unit on TT installation - earthing and SPD queries in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Really? I'm interested in your thinking? Do you fit the second rod because the first reading was too high or just your standard practice. I had considered doing this but depending on the Ze measurement alone. I'm going back to a couple of properties in the summer to test again - my measurements where sub 40 ohms recently.

The correct way to do it would be a cost v benefit analysis. Is another rod viable? Is another rod worth the additional cost in terms of improved earth loop impedance.

The general idea is to get the Ra as low as possible. As you increase depth the reduction in Ra is not linear, so 2x 2.4m rods will give a lower Ra than 1x 4.8m rod.
It has become my standard practice, the first reading is always too high in my opinion because I know it can be improved by adding a second rod.

Interesting. Do you connect the rods together then measure Ra or do you measure each rod separately and record the highest reading?

The correct way to do it would be a cost v benefit analysis. Is another rod viable? Is another rod worth the additional cost in terms of improved earth loop impedance.

The 'correct' way to do it is carry out soil resistivity testing and chemical analysis then design an earth electrode system from that.

The Ops situation appears to be domestic, so the cost of putting in two rods over one is relatively small, the benefit is chiefly a reduced Ra (approx half) with greater stability and redundancy.

Even greater stability could be achieved by driving a single rod to 4.8m, but the Ra will not be reduced by a lot less than half.

I would either measure both rods together using the Ze method, or measure separately, either using Ze or rod tester, then calculate resistance in parallel.

I would either measure both rods together using the Ze method, or measure separately, either using Ze or rod tester, then calculate resistance in parallel.

Agree. I am still trying to work out Ra with multiple rods. I would just do Ze.

Resistance in parallel calculation doesn't necessarily yield the correct answer, the interaction of the multiple electrides has an effect.

Reply to New consumer unit on TT installation - earthing and SPD queries in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock