Discuss New PIR lights not working?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hi there,

Is anyone familiar with the Epsom LED PIR Twin Floodlight 18w you get from Screwfix? I installed one last week, and worked fine.

Installed two new ones today for a client, and they are not working. It states in the manual to mount 1.8m to 2.5m off of the ground and i have to confess that they are above this. Im going back tomorrow to drop them down to height. However, I would have thought that they still would have worked when i went up the ladder to check....but nothing.

Power is at the lights, and i ran the earth loop imp tester on it before I left and all was OK so im getting a L-N.

Is it possible that i needs the ground as a datum point in order to work? Its one of those dome PIR setups.

Cheers

Dave

the height is not the problem. all that extra height will do is reduce the range, but only if it's silly like 5m or so. you need to check that the lux adjustment is set to daylight. other than that, could be faulty units.

that was my thinking too regarding the range, and that it wouldnt matter how high they were. However, they are quite specific on the mounting height and mine is at about 3m to 3.5m so wondered if it was too high. I adjusted the lux to fully on and also half way and nothing happened. Not even a flicker ?! This was in darkness too before I left.

Surely both units cannot be faulty?

if you have 240V to the fitting and it don't work then it's f**ked.

yes 240v present and correct.......but as I say, both fittings? Is there any logic to what I'm saying about it possibly being too far from the ground that it wont work at all??

no logic at all. even if silly height, it will pick you up on the ladder.

well, i dropped the height on one of the lights today, put the power on and it worked! Great i thought, so went and done the same to the other. Put the power on and nothing. Basically pulled my hair out for ages and ages trying to figure out what it was....turns out that the front of the light wasnt making a connection when pushed back! Because the base units are mounted on a granite (uneven) surface - it was preventing the box from being pushed far enough back and into the right place.

Very very frustrating though, and wouldnt use them again in this application.

Anyway thats it now - thought you would be interested to know.

Dave

I was gonna say, the terminals are a kind of push in jobbie Joe, you'll know what I mean if you've fitted one, and they don't line up very well when offering up the front up to the Base plate. I was very impressed with the product up until that point.

Reply to New PIR lights not working?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net