Discuss No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If there is no R1 + R2, it's pointless to have an RCD. Earth continuity, is a must. RCDs are for earth faults. You tell Mrs Jones that you replaced her board with an up to date version but will not have the benefits of a new version, but it's fire protected because it's metal. Might as well change the 3036 fuses to wylex switches in that case, it's more practical.

This is irrelevant to this thread - the OP's doing a CU change , not an EICR
Exactly, there can not be any C1 or C2, otherwise he cannot issue an EIC. All has to be earthed and all mcbs and RCDs need to meet the requirements of the regs. I will never issue a EIC knowing that's the earthing to the lighting is not in place and I will tell Mrs Jones, I cannot continue with the board unless she pays me to rectify the issues that will prevent me from issuing an EIC, because I am the one responsible by law, I am the one who signs off the work and I am the one who notifies building authority.

Exactly, there can not be any C1 or C2, otherwise he cannot issue an EIC. All has to be earthed and all mcbs and RCDs need to meet the requirements of the regs. I will never issue a EIC knowing that's the earthing to the lighting is not in place and I will tell Mrs Jones, I cannot continue with the board unless she pays me to rectify the issues that will prevent me from issuing an EIC, because I am the one responsible by law, I am the one who signs off the work and I am the one who notifies building authority.
Bs7671 does not require existing circuits to be upgraded unless they are defective or non-compliant with BS7671 in a way that they would result in the installation being dangerous. There is no legal requirement for the existing to be upgraded.
Suggest Sham reads Electrical Safety First, Best Practice Guide No 1, Replacing a Consumers Unit in Domestic and similar premises. Sorry Muzza

Last edited:
Bs7671 does not require existing circuits to be upgraded unless they are defective or non-compliant with BS7671 in a way that they would result in the installation being dangerous. There is no legal requirement for the existing to be upgraded.
^^

I am guessing you are NICEIC member ....
No, but used to be a Duty holder/Q.S.you don't need to belong to a shame, scheme etc to do things correctly.

But I'm sure you can not change a fuse board if earthing not correct. It defeats the object. If an inspector asks you to carry out an RCD trip test, you are in trouble

No,but used to be a Duty holder/Q.S.
Ignore my last post about NICEIC Ant, thought Murdoch was referring to the OP didn't see the arrows aimed at your post.
I'm out of this one.

. Apparently you could get away without CPC to lighting before, as long as there are no metal switches or fittings. That's all changing now.[/QUOTE]
What is changing?

Suggest the OP reads Electrical Safety First, Best Practice Guide No 1, Replacing a Consumers Unit in Domestic and similar premises.
Suggest Sham reads Electrical Safety First, Best Practice Guide No 1, Replacing a Consumers Unit in Domestic and similar premises. Sorry Muzza[/QUOTE

You can not there fore issue an EIC then.
From Electrical safety First
4.3. However, circuits that are defective or non-
compliant with the requirements of BS 7671 in a
way that would result in immediate or potential
danger must not be reconnected to the consumer
unit.

Suggest Sham reads Electrical Safety First, Best Practice Guide No 1, Replacing a Consumers Unit in Domestic and similar premises. Sorry Muzza
From Electrical Safety First
However, circuits that are defective or non-
compliant with the requirements of BS 7671 in a
way that would result in immediate or potential
danger must not be reconnected to the consumer
unit.

What is changing?
You cannot report it as an c3 and advise no metal fixtures, there has to be a CPC connected.[/QUOTE]

The definition of the codes used on eicr are not changing, and neither are the requirements for cpcs. This issue will be no different on a periodic inspection in the 18th to what it is now.

Reply to No cpc on lighting and no neutral continuity on kitchen ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net