Discuss Notify building control??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been asked to do some work for a builder who is doing a extension, its a bedroom and he wants 3 new sockets adding to the existing socket ring and a new light from the existing upstairs light circuit. Should i notify building control cos its not a new circuit and not in a special location

yes you should notify building control, all domestic work is notifiable, whether its as yours a minor works or an electrical installation cert, hope that helps, dave

Would it not be classed as being notified already because the building inspector goes to site to see how the extension is coming along

No im sorry it doesnt work like that, thats why part p came in to stop people doing work that shouldnt be, all domestic work is notifiable usually by the electrical contractor doing the work via nic,napit etc, thats why it costs us £100s each year to be members .regards dave

I have just paid to join the nic but need to jobs to show them i was going to do a board change in my house and this extension im talking about, but dont fancy paying a fortune to notify the work just to get the nic approval

I agree with you however, sec 1.24 of Part P covers DIYers and the like if they are not registered and says near enough what i posted.

If a fee has been paid for planning permission etc, the electrical installation checks are also covered in this a no further fee is payable.

If no building works are being carried out, but electrical alterations are, then the fee for notifying must be paid.

I have just paid to join the nic but need to jobs to show them i was going to do a board change in my house and this extension im talking about, but dont fancy paying a fortune to notify the work just to get the nic approval

Do the NIC check if its been notified?

If not, just do the job about 10days from your assessment and notify it once you have passed.

Assuming you are confident you will!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted to be really picky, the fee that has already been paid for building regs includes BC getting the electrical alterations certified at THEIR expense.

However, extensions to RFC and lighting circuits do not need notifying.

Have a thorough read of this:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Hi jasonS, why do nic tell us to notify all domestic work, if indeed extensions to circuits are not notifiable. I thought all domestic work EICs or MWs were notifiable. (IM CONFUSED NOW), whats the point in me being in the NICEIC ?

Hi jasonS, why do nic tell us to certify all domestic work, if indeed extensions to circuits are not notifiable. I thought all domestic work EICs or MWs were notifiable. (IM CONFUSED NOW), whats the point in me being in the NICEIC ?

All work should have certificate regardless of whether its notifiable or not.

Have a read of Page 8 of the Part P Doc.

Thanks jason i realised my mistake and ammended certify to notify prior to your post,I will have to have an in depth read with the part P document !!!!!!, regards dave

Thanks jason i realised my mistake and ammended certify to notify prior to your post,I will have to have an in depth read with the part P document !!!!!!, regards dave

No problem mate.

Although the P document is a dull read, it really is something that should be read by all sparks as it can be very confusing, especially with the schemes saying one thing and part P the other.

:)

No problem mate.

Although the P document is a dull read, it really is something that should be read by all sparks as it can be very confusing, especially with the schemes saying one thing and part P the other.

:)
Jason ive just read the part P document regarding what is and isnt notifiable. I think i will be leaving the NICEIC next time its due, if Part P allows DIYers to notify their own work why the hell should i pay all that money to NIC, when all i have to do is tell building control im doing the notifiable work beforehand. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I know what you are saying Dave, but notifying without being registered can cost anything from £100 upwards, which makes, installing a new outside light very expensive!

This work in the new bedroom is non-notifiable work providing you havent taken the supply for the sockets off the Kitchen ring...unlikely I know, but thought , worth a mention.
Even if it was notifiable you should be covered by the builders application,and you will probably need ony to supply B.C. with two MWCs or one EIC
By the way Consumer Unit changes are definately Notifiable

spark1

So if a ring final circuit was extended in a lounge, (not notifiable) this would still need a minor works cert correct??

So once you have filled in your certs and informed your scheme provider what do they then do..??
If they have your certs of the work but it doesn’t need notifying

If you do not need to notify then you just issue the cert to the customer as normal.

if it needs notifying, then this is all done on line via the scheme providers website in the secure area.

Reply to Notify building control??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock