Discuss PIR timer override in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As always, I'm a level 2 student so please ignore the ignorance.

Is it possible, and if so how, to wire up a PIR with a switch that has the ability to turn the light off after the PIR has been activated. Or in all cases do you have to wait for the timer to expire?

Side question - are there any other applications for a PIR? Are they used for anything other than switching on lights?

Thanks in advance

you can override a pir, either forcing it on or forcing it off.

why don't you have a go at drawing a diagram of how you might wire it so you can force the light on when the pir is off

then try to change the drawing so that you can force the light off when the pir is on

finally you can combine the drawings and come up with a circuit that allows the light to be switched on-off-auto using a 3 way switch.

p.s pir detectors are often used for intruder alarms, sounders, beacons and sometimes gates.

Best me to it buzz

I like Matt and his vids but definitely found JW easier to follow on this.

ETA: Drop Dan or Lou a PM and jump in the trainees section.
off topic. but do you want this 20A isolator with MCB for your rig. takes up a lot less room than that cut-out.

Reply to PIR timer override in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've a light fitting that's controlled from a Whitecroft absence detector PIR and a wall switch. The way it works, is the Retractive wall switch...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views
Driven by the recent colossal hikes in the cost of electricity I hit upon the wizard wheeze of replacing some of the existing LED bulbs in our own...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
I’m switching out timer light switches for normal light switches in my bathroom. One went to a light and fan and the second went to another light...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock