Search the forum,

Discuss price for family member in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How much for a board change (7 way crabtree with 4 RCBO's and 3 spare ways) and bonding of gas and water (none at the moment) for a family member weekend work? Also changing 10 supplied light switchs.
I really don't know whats fair to ask, materials are about £180, so what shall I charge labour, I feel guilty about asking for anything and yet its my family time being eaten into.
Advice please.

Only you have seen it, so only you know.

£300? I expect materials will be more than £180 once you've supplied screws, sleeving, tails, etc etc.

tell them £400 is the going rate, including cert. but you'll knock off 15% as they are family.

Strange but I suppose times are a changing. I don't think I have ever charged family, or builderrs, plumbers, carpenters or any in the trade to do work ................. on their own houses.

The same until recently I have never been charged for skimming walls, having bathroom suites fitted, back fences repaired or installed or any other reasonable building work done ..............but as most of the trade I know are either retiring or dieing off ...............I think I may have to start.

tell them £400 is the going rate, including cert. but you'll knock off 15% as they are family.

I'd go with normally £480 and give them 30% off ;)

Depends on how close the family is and what they do for you. My missus would disown me if i charge close family anything - i'm lucky to get parts - on the other hand they are generous iwith other things especially the wine (hic):D

If im being honest, they all pay the same.

Sometimes i will knock a little off at the end if its been straight forward.

If you are too generous, they expect it all the time, and then this gets passed on to someone they know telling them you are "cheap".

All IMHO.

I have close family that i would not charge a penny to for doing a board change and some i would not do it for any amount of cash even if they offered me a grand for one, and im being serious. my sister in law is a pain in the botty and she would consider it right to phone me at all times of the day or night if an mcb tripped for 20+ years after if i did a board change so i would make every excuse not to do it for them. I have a cousin who is a mechanic and he does not get charged a penny for anything apart from the materials and because of that i don`t pay for timing belt changes and i have a clutch change when its needed infront. he is also not a bad plasterer so all these light fittings his missus keeps buying has added up to some nice straight walls in my house :D

i just charge cost of materials for a job like that. if they feel the need to give me a drink after then thats always welcome but i don't ask for anything and as morph says a day may come when you need them to help you out.

If it was for a good family member who you know are nice and you get on with em, i'd do it for a few crates of ale. If they are a pain the --- and will never do owt in return the full price as per anyone else

I would ask them to cover the cost of materials and not charge them for my time. They will probably pay me back someway when the time comes.

The other half won't let me take a penny from anyone on her side but she would expect my side to cough up some cash. So now don't do anything for family as i always end up out of pocket.

I do however do the odd bits for other tradesmen as you always get paid back in kind.

See all, hear all, say 'nowt.
Eat all, sup all, pay 'nowt.
And, if ever tha does 'owt for 'nowt,
see that tha does it for th'sen !!!

(as they say in Yorkshire!) ;)

I always charge for materials 130% close family. They usually give me extra large tip for being so generous so I end up with 30% plus tip!

Reply to price for family member in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back