Discuss Consumer unit rcbo spd price in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all . Just a quick question what do you guys typically charge for an rcbo spd consumer unit change 14 way . 10/11 rcbos few spare ways . New meter tails . All certified /notified

Cheers

14 way quite large..... so price of materials plus a full day.

materials can be on the cheap side, or the expensive side... whatever's your preference.

I usually use fusebox roughly 300 quid for all materials I was thinking along same lines to the day rate . I still think we are too cheap as sparkies though . Plumbers charge roughly 1700 up to 2k for a boiler swap materials will be 1k so they get a thousand pound for one days work which is probably less work 5 pipes compared to 20 odd cables . Plus a lot less testing than on a consumer unit upgrade

Unless you can add on a load of materials..... people know how much a consumer unit is, thanks to screwfix/ B&Q etc... so you cant really pile on the price.

Day rate can be adjusted of course, unless you've done work for customer before, or advertise your rates publicly.
Could always take a day to do the change, then say "I'll be back tomorrow to test and write up the certificate" Another 4 hours easy.. lol.

Unless you can add on a load of materials..... people know how much a consumer unit is, thanks to screwfix/ B&Q etc... so you cant really pile on the price.

Day rate can be adjusted of course, unless you've done work for customer before, or advertise your rates publicly.
Could always take a day to do the change, then say "I'll be back tomorrow to test and write up the certificate" Another 4 hours easy.. lol.
Very true with the prices at screwfix and b&q but I never really use them boards . I see what you mean though 👍

Not sure why the cost of a boiler change would be considered relevant, unless you think every other spark in your area is going to price along the same lines.

In the grand scheme of things we should be charging at least as much as plumbers, but the reality is that electricians will scalp each other over a penny. It's also the case that people are, in general, more content to run the risk of electrocuting family members, than take a chance on flooding their homes and this also helps keep rates depressed.

The best means of making more money is to build up a good reputation among people who are prepared to pay a premium for excellent service and reliability. Unless your very lucky, quoting high rates for random jobs won't leave you with much to do - equally, quoting low prices to win every job will leave you being a busy fool.

Without going into too much technical detail, I'd also make sure that customers understood the benefits of the board you intend fitting and compare it to whatever may be priced into other quotes.

Not sure why the cost of a boiler change would be considered relevant, unless you think every other spark in your area is going to price along the same lines.

In the grand scheme of things we should be charging at least as much as plumbers, but the reality is that electricians will scalp each other over a penny. It's also the case that people are, in general, more content to run the risk of electrocuting family members, than take a chance on flooding their homes and this also helps keep rates depressed.

The best means of making more money is to build up a good reputation among people who are prepared to pay a premium for excellent service and reliability. Unless your very lucky, quoting high rates for random jobs won't leave you with much to do - equally, quoting low prices to win every job will leave you being a busy fool.

Without going into too much technical detail, I'd also make sure that customers understood the benefits of the board you intend fitting and compare it to whatever may be priced into other quotes.
boiler change isn’t relevant I was just thinking about it because I’ve recently had mine done and was wondering why no one bats an eyelid at paying top dollar for a days work for boiler swap . When a consumer unit swap is our equivalent. Anyway thanks for the replies was just trying to get a gage of what people tend to charge for these jobs . I also always try to explain in the simplest way possible of the benefits of rcbo boards compared to the rubbish screwfix split RCD ones where it takes more time to put the lid on than actually wire it up .

boiler change isn’t relevant I was just thinking about it because I’ve recently had mine done and was wondering why no one bats an eyelid at paying top dollar for a days work for boiler swap . When a consumer unit swap is our equivalent. Anyway thanks for the replies was just trying to get a gage of what people tend to charge for these jobs . I also always try to explain in the simplest way possible of the benefits of rcbo boards compared to the rubbish screwfix split RCD ones where it takes more time to put the lid on than actually wire it up .

I fully agree with your thoughts about hourly rates, but the reality is, at least in the domestic sector, the electrical industry is heavily weighted with people who have little business sense.

The lid comments rings too true

I fully agree with your thoughts about hourly rates, but the reality is, at least in the domestic sector, the electrical industry is heavily weighted with people who have little business sense.
Need to work in capital cities. In London the going rate is 100 quid an hour for anyone half decent. They also almost always add their tolls/ULEZ/parking on top of the rate too.

That said, £100/hr for sitting in traffic 3 hours a day might not even be worth it

Need to work in capital cities. In London the going rate is 100 quid an hour for anyone half decent. They also almost always add their tolls/ULEZ/parking on top of the rate too.

That said, £100/hr for sitting in traffic 3 hours a day might not even be worth it

Greater London may as well be another country. Pricing is vastly different as is the viability of working there for most trades outside the area.

An electrician in Cannock, Cumbernauld or Cardiff won't stand any chance of getting work at 50% of rates charged in London and most don't want to spend the working week away from home and family.

I could earn considerably more than my hourly rate in Dublin, but I don't want to spend 3-4 hours travelling every day or blow a lot on accomodation to stay away from home. Average pay isn't vastly different, but there is always a shortage of skilled workers during construction booms like that still going on in Dublin.

Greater London may as well be another country. Pricing is vastly different as is the viability of working there for most trades outside the area.

An electrician in Cannock, Cumbernauld or Cardiff won't stand any chance of getting work at 50% of rates charged in London and most don't want to spend the working week away from home and family.

I could earn considerably more than my hourly rate in Dublin, but I don't want to spend 3-4 hours travelling every day or blow a lot on accomodation to stay away from home. Average pay isn't vastly different, but there is always a shortage of skilled workers during construction booms like that still going on in Dublin.
I know what you mean - when i was doing solar i was offered £400 an install to work in Cardiff (i'm from Newcastle area) and i can do 2 installs a day. They wanted me to work in Cardiff 6 days a week. I've got young kids so was a no-go for me

Post Covid labour rates for plumbing , electrics , bathroom / kitchen work in London and the SE has gone nuts , completely nuts.
Pre covid most Trades i knew and work with on a monthly basis we were all around the £50-60 per hour. Which was pretty standard in Surrey and pump that up a bit to about £80-90 per hour for London back then.
Now most trades won't even bother with a job if they can't clear £100 per hour + parking / ulez / congestion etc etc.
My mate who is a heating engineer charges £160 per hour for London and is still crazy busy. I don't think it will be to long in London before we see £200 per hour as the Norm

Post Covid labour rates for plumbing , electrics , bathroom / kitchen work in London and the SE has gone nuts , completely nuts.
Pre covid most Trades i knew and work with on a monthly basis we were all around the £50-60 per hour. Which was pretty standard in Surrey and pump that up a bit to about £80-90 per hour for London back then.
Now most trades won't even bother with a job if they can't clear £100 per hour + parking / ulez / congestion etc etc.
My mate who is a heating engineer charges £160 per hour for London and is still crazy busy. I don't think it will be to long in London before we see £200 per hour as the Norm
If I could afford to live down there it's where I'd be

If I could afford to live down there it's where I'd be
this is the thing , people up the #North probably think £100-£160 per hour for a trade person is nuts. But you have to factor in to rent or buy a house in the SE and London is crazy expensive. What I paid for my first little terrace house in 2007 you could have brought a blooming gated Mansion up the North.
its all relative ,

for the east of London Delroy has probably pitched his pricing spot on
EICR prices seem fair really, folks here know the difference between doing a job properly (work and report write-up) and a drive-by con.

The "per half hour" would be per hour outside of London to be fair!

Reply to Consumer unit rcbo spd price in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net