Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with 11KW Kiln in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

All your knowledge and advice is so very welcome, thanks all.

So have a sparky coming during this week. He is trusted and been at it 20 years.

So from the most likely and cheapest to test, where would you guys start to find fault, replace parts etc.? It worries me that someone might come in and say you need £600 of cabling when actually changing an RCBO for a fuse might be all that’s needed.

Many thanks

0B682432-2258-46E6-B8D0-FAC27E87926F.jpeg

The resistance doesn’t change. If the voltage is reduced so is the current
How do you conclude that? The load is 11kw so at 240v the current would be around 45.8A , @ 230v around 47.8A

There are a number of factors to consider why the rcbo is tripping. It is either going to be thermal overload or earth leakage. My initial suspicion was thermal overload since the kiln is what's commonly known as an intermittent kiln. These types of kiln get up to around 900 degrees quite quickly but then demand a lot of energy to get them up to 1200. This means that at around 1000 degrees + they are pulling full power (max current) for a long period of time. It could also be, as mentioned already, that as the temperature in the supply cable increases the insulation resistance decreases and you get the earth leakage. This would mean replacing the damaged cable where required.
Hopefully your electrician will be able to determine the cause of the problem and advise you on best practice to rectify it.

On a personal note: Based on my experience with these kiln types ( the control gear and supply cables get a lot of hammer) I would have uprated the supply cable and associated protection devises and would not have - in series RCDs.

He's saying that if a resistance remains constant, and the voltage applied across it reduces then so does the current. Ohm's law.

So from the most likely and cheapest to test, where would you guys start to find fault, replace parts etc.? It worries me that someone might come in and say you need £600 of cabling when actually changing an RCBO for a fuse might be all that’s needed.

That's precisely why you need to pay somebody to test the cable, and the RCBO at the house end before ANYTHING else.

If they ask you for money, make sure they state the results of the tests on a certificate, or the invoice.

Once you have this information, then post the details on here

It could simply be that the RCBO is BER

So from the most likely and cheapest to test, where would you guys start to find fault, replace parts etc.? [/ATTACH]

I would start with having a good look at all parts concerned and discussing the full background of this fault with you.

Then I would decide what to test first, usually in such a situation I would be looking at the appliance first.

I wouldn’t normally replace parts until they have either been proved to be at fault by testing or process of elimination.

That’s is nonsense, by that same logic if you reduced the voltage to 120V then the current would be 91.6A and if you reduced the voltage to 24V the current would be 458A.
Yes you are correct, I was focusing on achieving the load - 11 kw. My apologies for the confusion.

Farmer, I'd be interested to know why you've disliked my comment. Or is it just one of these random dislikes?

^^

Joking.

It's so easy to do on a mobile
Crikey you had ne wondering there Murdoch, agree about the phone I have one of those soft penjobbies for texting etc, picked it up last year at ELEX, foc of course, and no I don't polish it, also got a KLEIN TOOLS bottle opener.

Reply to Problem with 11KW Kiln in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back