Discuss Protection against open/loose neutral? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello friends, is there such a thing as a "smart meter" that I can install on my backwoods house that will trip if it detects a loose/open neutral? If so, where can I get one? Thanks very much

Hello friends, is there such a thing as a "smart meter" that I can install on my backwoods house that will trip if it detects a loose/open neutral? If so, where can I get one? Thanks very much
Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum and yes they make smart meters but that’s the meter the power company puts in. The meter is called a smart meter because the power company can read it without ever coming on your property. Are you having some kind of problem that you need help with. You can buy GFCI breakers that could do what you want

A high resistance neutral connection is usually manifest by incorrect voltages - on a single (split) phase supply one hot-neutral voltage goes up (the one with more load) and one goes down while the hot-hot voltage is unaffected, similarly for 3-phase.

This is easy to detect; for example you can buy voltage-sensing relays that can be set to trigger an output when the voltage goes beyond settable limits for a certain duration. These could then operate a shunt-tripping add-on unit to a main breaker, to isolate your panel from the faulty supply. (There are complications in practice, such as making this run from the hots only, so that the failed neutral doesn't stop the protection working).

Perhaps there is an all-in one unit? As MW says, is this a precaution or are you experiencing equipment damage from repeated loss of your neutral? For small loads, certain types of UPS will protect them against excessive voltage.

A high resistance neutral connection is usually manifest by incorrect voltages - on a single (split) phase supply one hot-neutral voltage goes up (the one with more load) and one goes down while the hot-hot voltage is unaffected, similarly for 3-phase.

This is easy to detect; for example you can buy voltage-sensing relays that can be set to operate an output when the voltage goes out of range. These could then operate a shunt-tripping add-on unit to a main breaker, to isolate your panel from the faulty supply. On the more sophisticated ones you can set the thresholds and delay time to minimise nuisance trips on start-up surges etc.

Perhaps there is an all-in one unit?
I got to admit that you are pretty sharp on electrical, are you some sort of engineer.

are you some sort of engineer.

Yes, although I've long since forgotten which sort!

Reply to Protection against open/loose neutral? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock