Discuss Question regarding signing off 32a ring circuit with broken CPC ring continuity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
I installed a kitchen ring recently. Went back to test after the builders had finished and found that the CPC is broken somewhere inaccessible, everything else tests normal. I’ve got continuity on live conductors, and even with the broken CPC, each socket is connected to the CPC and tests with an acceptable Zs value.

What are my options to be able to sign this off without any destructive investigation / remedial work?

My first thought was to split the ring into two 20a radial circuits. But it would be preferable to leave it connected as a ring for increased capacity.

As far as I understand it the fact that the CPC doesn’t have ring continuity isn’t affecting safety or disconnection times, so is there a reason I couldn’t sign this off and simply note this fact?

I installed a kitchen ring recently. Went back to test after the builders had finished and found that the CPC is broken somewhere inaccessible, everything else tests normal. I’ve got continuity on live conductors, and even with the broken CPC, each socket is connected to the CPC and tests with an acceptable Zs value.

What are my options to be able to sign this off without any destructive investigation / remedial work?

My first thought was to split the ring into two 20a radial circuits. But it would be preferable to leave it connected as a ring for increased capacity.

As far as I understand it the fact that the CPC doesn’t have ring continuity isn’t affecting safety or disconnection times, so is there a reason I couldn’t sign this off and simply note this fact?
If it's a Kitchen RFC it shouldn't be that difficult to find out where the break in the cpc is, so if you aren't feeling competent to do that route, turn the RFC into 2 by 20Amp Radials. Leaving the RFC as it is, would be unacceptable in my book, I certainly wouldn't leave it in that condition, as it is now it's not a RFC is it?

How is it broken where its inaccessible?

And no it cannot be signed off as is.

You have effectively halved the cross sectional area of the cpc.
Maybe, just maybe if you can work out the minimum cross sectional area of cpc via adiabatic is acceptable at less than 1.5mm in either direction, but not good practice and I wouldn't.

In addition to the cpc being broken you know that the cable has been damaged. How can you possibly be certain that other parts aren't damaged? Remember that testing does not trump inspection so just because the rest tests out fine doesn't mean that it is fine.

In addition to the cpc being broken you know that the cable has been damaged. How can you possibly be certain that other parts aren't damaged? Remember that testing does not trump inspection so just because the rest tests out fine doesn't mean that it is fine.
funny you should say that. just been to a lighting fauly, wylex board from c 1970's, 3036's replaced with 60898 plug-in MCBs. MCB for upstairs lights won't hold. cabled dissed from board, all readings show no faults. down to visual.... JB in attic. LN in, 3 T&E out. switching for attic light. so out with all the loop cables. ID the incoming (not wet finger), into 5 port wagos. connect loop out #1, MCB holds, loopout 2 MCB holds, loop 3 in MCB trips. good old bang test. fault traced so far to a 20A D/P switcth apparently feeds a bulkhead that's not worked for years. cable buried in render. so... faulty bit left out. down pub for a pint.

Splitting the ring into 2 radials should not be the first option or even the last.
If the break splits the sockets and there loads equally maybe it's a solution, but if it splits between one socket only and several or worse it's on one of the legs before any sockets then it's not an option at all.

Agree with ristard. It's adamaged cable. It needs sorting.

If it's a damaged cable not sure how the cpc is cut and not at least one of the live conductors. Unless it's a loose connection in an inaccessible j/b?

Splitting the ring into 2 radials should not be the first option or even the last.
If the break splits the sockets and there loads equally maybe it's a solution, but if it splits between one socket only and several or worse it's on one of the legs before any sockets then it's not an option at all.

Agree with ristard. It's adamaged cable. It needs sorting.

If it's a damaged cable not sure how the cpc is cut and not at least one of the live conductors. Unless it's a loose connection in an inaccessible j/b?
I take it Pete you are having a go at my reply about turning the RFC into 2 Radials, and of course you are right the damaged section should be removed, it was my assumption that the OP would do this, but assumption is the route of all evil, should have been more explicit in my first response, the OP seems to have a few Quals and should be aware of this step, message to oneself never assume anything, good point though.

If it was fine on first fix and broken when you went back tell the customer it needs sorting and the builder is paying.....
True, but the builder could, and probably will deny any involvement, or any responsibility, so to say the builder will pay, is being a trifle preemptive.

Pete999

Definately not having a go at anyone giving this option.

I actually put an agree on your post and others posts who made this suggestion prior to me making mine.

Splitting the ring is a viable option, I just wanted to highlight its not the first.

Pete999

Definately not having a go at anyone giving this option.

I actually put an agree on your post and others posts who made this suggestion prior to me making mine.

Splitting the ring is a viable option, I just wanted to highlight its not the first.
I know, I jumped the gun I think Pete, I should have been more explicit, sorry if it caused any disharmony in the discussion it was never meant to, appreciate your reply. Live long and Prosper.

Have you double checked the terminations at each socket? Not wanting to teach sucking eggs and all that and am only a novice, but I recently installed a RFC, checked continuity prior to second fix and all was good. Second fix resulted in a break in continuity on the line. I automatically assumed the worse re builders / plumbers. I then tested along on one side of the ring until I found the area where the break was. Double checked the socket terminations and bobs your uncle! Could just be a bit of CPC sleeving caught in the termination.
As above if there is damage to a cable somewhere I’d want to find and repair it.

Jumped the gun I think Pete, I should have been more explicit, sorry if it caused any disharmony in the dicussion it was never meant to.
It didn't. Like all social media it's hard to put into words intent meaning and feeling which is why a lot of people cannot interpret messages properly.
I put myself in this catagory.
Millions of years to learn to communicate with speech face to face. 25 years of social media. We don't stand a chance.

Don’t sign it off.

Builder has made a boo boo. Rawlplug hole drilled through a cable would be my bet.
Assuming it was all ok when you tested, and now it’s not.... must be something the builder has done.

You can work out which leg is down. Look for drill holes in the path of where you think the cable is.
You might be able to find it visually, and fit a joint box in the back of a cupboard maybe?

I wouldn’t split it into 2 radials unless there’s very little load. Kitchens will have kettles toasters etc without washing machines, dryers etc which could be in a utility room on a different circuit.

Reply to Question regarding signing off 32a ring circuit with broken CPC ring continuity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock