Discuss Question regarding signing off 32a ring circuit with broken CPC ring continuity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's unsafe in the sense that you know for a fact a cable has been physically damaged somewhere, and so needs repairing or replacing.
A conductor that in a healthy circuit isnt carrying current and in the event of a fault for 0.4 seconds. Im not by any means promoting broken rings. I get the end to end on line conductors for current carrying capacity. But as i stated before 4mm 32amp. 1.5mm cpc.

A conductor that in a healthy circuit isnt carrying current and in the event of a fault for 0.4 seconds. Im not by any means promoting broken rings. I get the end to end on line conductors for current carrying capacity. But as i stated before 4mm 32amp. 1.5mm cpc.

I see your point, but you can't issue a satisfactory certificate because it doesn't pass testing.

If it's a damaged cable not sure how the cpc is cut and not at least one of the live conductors. Unless it's a loose connection in an inaccessible j/b?

I had a similar fault when carrying out a first visit and found no cpc to some of the sockets. Dug the photos out for you. Some investigation and cutting the back of a kitchen cupboard out revealed a huge lump of silicon and a bunch of holes. Clearly done before the cabinets were put in. Once I had pulled off the silicon you could see the blown apart cable they tried to cover up. By all accounts the kitchen was fitting 4 years ago, metal sockets everywhere and all signed off. Customer wasn’t impressed.
A78190FC-118D-42B1-BEDB-F3F0A13F198F.jpeg

D3631C57-D1B5-47A1-8F55-414572FEFE6A.jpeg

4mm circuit 32amp ocpd has a 1.5mm cpc. Why is it different?? I was questioning this the other day. Obviously readings compliant to operate in required time.

Hi - I agree, a radial of 2.5/1.5 cable with B32 OLCP will clear a fault without damage, provided max Zs is met.

Overload is wrong of course :) . And in this case the cable may have other damage than the assumed clean break in the cpc.

Split you CPC's at the board (or at a socket face) get your long lead and plug adapter out, locate and identify the fault and go from there! never know may be a quick fix :smile::smile: (couldn't find an optimistic glass half full type of looking emoji) .....

I take it Pete you are having a go at my reply about turning the RFC into 2 Radials, and of course you are right the damaged section should be removed, it was my assumption that the OP would do this, but assumption is the route of all evil, should have been more explicit in my first response, the OP seems to have a few Quals and should be aware of this step, message to oneself never assume anything, good point though.
My driving instructor told me to never assume - it makes an --- out of U & ME ;-)

In my opinion the bloody builder will pay! Tell customer to with hold his deposit untill fault found and if his screw for the wall units goes right through your cable its obviously his fault. You could argue the blame and ultimately have a decision.
But repair it at all costs its a kitchen ring main FCS.

Reply to Question regarding signing off 32a ring circuit with broken CPC ring continuity in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net