Discuss Quoting BIG job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Quick questions guys:

I have a site visit now for tomorrow, builder said will be nice to see a face to the business

My issue is im 22, do you think this is going to have a large impact now on the builders knowing there dealing with a young company?

Should i go dressed in trousers and a smart t-shirt, or are builders generally not bothered as in if its red hot could i turn up in shorts and a t-shirt?

Cheers

Nice clean polo with your company logo and scam provider logo always works for me.....

Probably wouldnt go for the shorts on first meeting and definitely dont wear your flip flops

All the best

as this sounds a big job and will probably have offices etc i would go in shirt and trousers, as your quoting as a buiseness not a one man band, theres no need to let the builder realise that your going to be on the tools yourself until the work starts.
if it is a big job look into hirring a container for tools and offices of your own ask about health and safety procedures,security access to site do all personel need jib cards,parking working hours limmitations

Should i go dressed in trousers and a smart t-shirt, or are builders generally not bothered as in if its red hot could i turn up in shorts and a t-shirt?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

You might also be meeting the owners of the property so it's best to make as good a first impression as you can

Your age doesn't matter as much as how you conduct yourself. Don't say you live with your mum, and don't lie that you have offices. Its all going to come down to how much experience you have of meetings of this nature and how you can present yourself in a technical and knowledgeable matter. Avoid asking questions that seem as though your asking how they want something done and instead advise them on how best to do it.

Good luck and don't worry too much, best is not to appear nervous, act like you have done this a million times. The fact your classing it as a BIG job tells me that your not very experienced, while its a BIG job to you it could be a relatively small one to the builder so don't make it sound like its the biggest you've done.

think of it as a way of learning how to handle yourself when you have to quote on a very very big contract and you are using this one as a guide, then even if you don't get the contract you will be taking a valuable lesson with you and next time you will learn the craft.

If nothing else this will most definitely be a learning curve. I hope it goes well for you.

The most important advice I can give you is don't TRY TOO HARD to impress. Sometimes less is more and by that I mean, Shut the F*** up and listen. Only say what needs to be said because if you say more it gives them more reason to ask more questions.

As mentioned, you need to act like you have done this a million times over BUT you don't want to be saying that. Clever people will easily see straight through you.

I think it's going to be a tough one for you but I'm sure you'll manage fine.

I certainly wouldn't plough hours and hours into your quote, I've made that mistake before and each time I have I've not been successful in winning the job.

With regards to what to wear? I would go in my company uniform (Clean work trousers and nicely ironed work shirt).

Good Luck

If you know you are competent to do the job, you won't have a problem just don't go through lighting books with them you will end up kipping the night with them lol

axel. you will probably find that you are pricing against at least four other contractors with prices ranging from high to suicidal.make sure the spec is nailed down to exactly what they want.is there a bill of quantities to price to? as previous posts have mentioned don't spend loads of time on design work only for the job to be given to somebody else.this happened to me after a donut of an architect had an additional load of 185kw to add onto an existing 100a tp supply.spent a bit of time organising alternatives etc etc only for the job to go to the lowest bidder.probably using one of my designs.it doesnt happen now i can tell you.a site visit is a must even at the pricing stage. good luck

Have a site visit now,

They haven't really said much about what they want, all they really said is MK ive thought of alot of info to ask to be able to finish quote such as

What current supply (single or 3-phase)
Is there enough spare ways for sub-main to new board in plant room
Is there enough spare load to support new building
Were the new sub-main to be run

What spotlights they want LED or Standard
What wall lights they want (To match existing or not)
What speaker system Bose, Bang and Aulsen or Mid-Range)

Do they want supply for aircon, wine cooler and swimming pool motors or are we to quote for them

Things of that nature anything major ive missed?

Cheers

P.s i do have a van ;D!

P.s i do have a van ;D!

My bad. I wish you all the best with your visit tomorrow :)

Definitely clean, smart work trousers and your logo'd polo shirt. That way, you will show them that you are professional tradesman and not some office boy who's never got his hands dirty.
Too casual, and you will appear not to care.

Last edited:
i would defo not wear shirt and trousers. for these kind of situations i have a pair of work trousers that i've never worked in. also a clean logo'd polo and clean work footwear
and personally i'd be careful you can cope! if in doubt walk away, another big job will be along sooner or later you don't want to rush in an ruin your rep just as your getting started

i would defo not wear shirt and trousers. for these kind of situations i have a pair of work trousers that i've never worked in. also a clean logo'd polo and clean work footwear
and personally i'd be careful you can cope! if in doubt walk away, another big job will be along sooner or later you don't want to rush in an ruin your rep just as your getting started

as army says if looks to big walk away but price yourself out of it instead of not pricing at all,id treat it as a small hotel rather than a house,and the stage payments will break you if its not right,the audio equipment alone if its a major brand will cost thousands,remember people dont get that rich by being daft so id imagine they will play hard,more so with you being a young lad,but as long as you know what your talking about and act professional they should give you respect,if not dont do it,its all a learning curve

Have a site visit now,

They haven't really said much about what they want, all they really said is MK ive thought of alot of info to ask to be able to finish quote such as

What current supply (single or 3-phase)
Is there enough spare ways for sub-main to new board in plant room
Is there enough spare load to support new building
Were the new sub-main to be run

What spotlights they want LED or Standard
What wall lights they want (To match existing or not)
What speaker system Bose, Bang and Aulsen or Mid-Range)

Do they want supply for aircon, wine cooler and swimming pool motors or are we to quote for them

Things of that nature anything major ive missed?

Cheers

P.s i do have a van ;D!

Don't ask these questions, they are the questions they are supposed to ask you, and you answer :)

As said you need to be careful over the payments. Open accounts with wholesalers on 30+ day terms to swallow the materials however remember that, as mentioned above Bose sound system for example could be £5000, could you stand this much cash for 30-60 days?

Reply to Quoting BIG job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock