Discuss Radial vs Ring in a standard 3 bed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My current 3 bed 1980s semi has 1 ring on a 32a mcb for the entire house.
In fact it only has 4 circuits in total.
Cooker , ring , immersion and lights.
Proteus split board , cooker , immersion and lights non rcd And ring on the rcd. Loads of spare ways.

I'd get a proper sparks in; soon have that sorted for you. :)

PS, there's a member on here called Murdoch, from your neck of the woods. Could ask him.

When i did a board change the other day and the Main fuse accidentally fell out;), I found it was a 30 amp BS 88.
Probably been in since about 1940 so I don't think loading in a private house is a problem.
I use 4.0 radials all over unless it is a big kitchen.

My current 3 bed 1980s semi has 1 ring on a 32a mcb for the entire house. Like this from new I presume. Not been rewired.
In fact it only has 4 circuits in total.
Cooker , ring , immersion and lights.
Proteus split board , cooker , immersion and lights non rcd And ring on the rcd. Loads of spare ways.

I bet its never tripped due to overloading either

When i did a board change the other day and the Main fuse accidentally fell out;), I found it was a 30 amp BS 88.
Probably been in since about 1940 so I don't think loading in a private house is a problem.
I use 4.0 radials all over unless it is a big kitchen.

You want to get that looked at , we can’t have fuses falling out.
I mean , what happened to those little wire things meant to hold it in. When ever i get to a house someone else has stolen them

my old man's house had a 30A rewireable main fuse from 1926 till 1988 when we installed an electric hob and shower. it popped.

Having just read my fuel bill, averaging £90 a month for lecy (we got gas heating), I need to run some bigger cables.
£90 a month???? need to either stop the teenagers showering or close down the cannabis farm. our leccy runs about half that.

£90 a month???? need to either stop the teenagers showering or close down the cannabis farm. our leccy runs about half that.

Nope its just me and her indoors. I blame her for watching QVC every morning. I've been in the loft, and there's foliage to see up there, although the cop paraffin budgie was hovering around the other night.

Might get one of those smart arse meters, see who's the culprit.

Nope its just me and her indoors. I blame her for watching QVC every morning. I've been in the loft, and there's foliage to see up there, although the cop paraffin budgie was hovering around the other night.

Might get one of those smart arse meters, see who's the culprit.
yous bin on the wacky baccy?

Afternoon all.
I normally cable my first fixes in a standard 3/4 bed as follows:

Ring up
Ring down
Kitchen ring.

I was at a trade show the other day and got talking to a few people and they said they only use a ring in the kitchen. Radials up and down. Got me think what’s the standard? I know there’s a max length for a radial circuit even though i can’t remeber it as I don’t normally use them. What do you guys use as I’m on a first fix atm and taking a leg back to the board from my upstairs circuit is going to be hell.

Cheers
Ring for kitchen maybe thats it radials elsewhere

To all who worship ring mains, why? they are good for maybe doing a domestic kitchen maybe? they are much worse than any radial circuit because of a few reasons 1) breakers MCBs/RCBOs dont cope well with 2 copper cores being just as tight as one another. 2) you have a fault you still have power even if a live or neutral has come loose and is arcing and you will never know until your plastic DB burns away along with your house. 3) 80% of my test result problems are from ring mains. Dont use them unless you have to its outdated and much less safe than a radial thats why just about evryone else in the world uses radials and NOT ring mains, just get a bigger cable ffs.

To all who worship ring mains, why? they are good for maybe doing a domestic kitchen maybe? they are much worse than any radial circuit because of a few reasons 1) breakers MCBs/RCBOs dont cope well with 2 copper cores being just as tight as one another. 2) you have a fault you still have power even if a live or neutral has come loose and is arcing and you will never know until your plastic DB burns away along with your house. 3) 80% of my test result problems are from ring mains. Dont use them unless you have to its outdated and much less safe than a radial thats why just about evryone else in the world uses radials and NOT ring mains, just get a bigger cable ffs.
They do if they are terminated correctly.

Reply to Radial vs Ring in a standard 3 bed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock