Discuss Recommendations for a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah it's a bit old and been sculling round the bottom of a toolbox for years!

If it was a carrot, it would be rotten by now.

I am not sure i want to test it though, how times have changed, it was the right thing to use in the 70's, now scared to use it.
[automerge]1601542322[/automerge]
It does......
View attachment 61136

1977 - 2020 and still working, take that megger/fluke/martindale

Get it on ebay and use the words 'vintage', 'barn find' and 'industrial ' :D

i bought this on ebay to replace one i lost. cheap as chips. phase sequence. does the job.
UNI-T Waterproof Type Digital 2 Pole Voltage Tester

The tester I have also bleeps on continuity - I hate that as I'm usually checking for safety and periodically jump then realise it a different f'ing bleep for N-E continuity and not L-N reversal and still energised!

So I would go for one that does one job only - to check for volts. If buying another I would probably go for the Drummond, or something cheap like the "Kewtech Kewvolt 2" or "Socket & See VIP150" that also needs no battery. To be fair my one still warns if volts and no battery but i think the voltage-range LEDs don't light, so would go for one that does one simple job.

However, some folk like a simple continuity probe bleeper feature for other testing, and I know some folk who like the non-contact sort for seeing if something is live, but never use them to prove dead!

The tester I have also bleeps on continuity - I hate that as I'm usually checking for safety and periodically jump then realise it a different f'ing bleep for N-E continuity and not L-N reversal and still energised!

So I would go for one that does one job only - to check for volts. If buying another I would probably go for the Drummond, or something cheap like the "Kewtech Kewvolt 2" or "Socket & See VIP150" that also needs no battery. To be fair my one still warns if volts and no battery but i think the voltage-range LEDs don't light, so would go for one that does one simple job.

However, some folk like a simple continuity probe bleeper feature for other testing, and I know some folk who like the non-contact sort for seeing if something is live, but never use them to prove dead!
Yeah, that's one thing about the megger tpt320, it's a useful function, but inevitably take me by surprise every time!

That's just familiarity though, whatever you learn with eventually feels like the only right way.

To this day, whenever I see a black wire, my mind thinks neutral, takes me a moment to check myself!

The previously resommended Fluke 2 pole testers allow their buzzer to be silenced.

Think I remember reading specs of a tester from some manufacturer (although I could be wrong about this) that also vibrated for use in noisey environments - that would take some getting used to!

Thanks I like the Drummond, but they are quite expensive. I’m leaning towards one that doesn’t need batteries. The Socket and See looks similar to Martindale and the Proving Unit like the Megger.

Reply to Recommendations for a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net