UK Regs .?

Discuss Regs .? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’ve added spreader box to a ryefield board using 50mm bushes however the engineer has said should be a slot as against Regs.?
Is it.? I can’t find this regulation

521.5.1 maybe ? Not sure how you have done things though. More detail is needed after you have read that reg to see if it applies.

Is it a non Ferus Spreader box?
[automerge]1582137642[/automerge]
I’ve added spreader box to a ryefield board using 50mm bushes however the engineer has said should be a slot as against Regs.?
Were you not aware of this electromagnetic effect problem? Did they not teach you anything about this in Sparky School?

Last edited:

Connecting a spreader box with a 50mm bush surely defeats the object of the spreader box doesn't it?

If you've installed the conductors of a single circuit through multiple holes in a ferrous material then this is non-compliant and you should really get an electrician to reinstall this properly.

521.5.1 maybe ? Not sure how you have done things though. More detail is needed after you have read that reg to see if it applies.
I’ve made the SWAs off in to the spreader box then the cables thru a series of 50mm bushes. Into the panel board
[automerge]1582144796[/automerge]
I’ve made the SWAs off in to the spreader box then the cables thru a series of 50mm bushes. Into the panel board
Connecting a spreader box with a 50mm bush surely defeats the object of the spreader box doesn't it?

If you've installed the conductors of a single circuit through multiple holes in a ferrous material then this is non-compliant and you should really get an electrician to reinstall this properly.
It isn’t a single circuit. There are 18 circuits. The circuits aren’t split as in lives and neutral they go thru as the circuits.
so don’t understand why can’t use bushes as a means of entry.

Last edited:
If all the conductors of each individual distribution circuit (including any protective conductors) go through a single 50mm bush then it is compliant. It would only be non-compliant if conductors were split. Tell the engineer he is wrong.

Are you taking conductors through separate holes into a ferrous metal enclosure? That would be a breach of regs (Electromagnetic effects)….A slot between the holes effectively makes it one hole.
No I’m not they go thru as circuits
[automerge]1582145664[/automerge]
If all the conductors of each individual distribution circuit (including any protective conductors) go through a single 50mm bush then it is compliant. It would only be non-compliant if conductors were split. Tell the engineer he is wrong.
I will thank you.

Is it a non Ferus Spreader box?
[automerge]1582137642[/automerge]

Were you not aware of this electromagnetic effect problem? Did they not teach you anything about this in Sparky School?

At a previous company we had a 400A printing machine (2x PC´s, 5x Allen Bradley PLC´s, 55 motors mostly servo´s mainly Bosch Indramat, electrical cabinet was a shipping container on stilts - if anyone`s interested), it was wired in singles on cable tray across the factory, the cables went into the steel switchgear cabinet in plastic compression glands. It used to get warm but not much above ambiant. This was installed by Electricity North West!

Reply to Regs .? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net